Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No Driver for Camera

Connected my Canon 70D to Win 10 system and it was not recognized. windows says it doesn't have a driver for the camera. If I go into Device manager the properties of the unknown camera device say no driver.

Canon doesn't supply drivers because Microsoft does. Camera is detected fine in Win 7 and was detected by previous build of Win 10 on different hardware all with Microsoft drivers.

Hoping there are some photographers on here with win 10 and Canon cameras that don't have this problem or had it and fixed it.
    George

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    According to Canon for your model, you don't need any drivers -

Canon 70D.PNG

But have you considered Win 8/8.1 drivers to see if they will work -

http://www.canondriver.net/tag/software-canon-eos-70d/

Thanks
    If I go into Device manager the properties of the unknown camera device say no driver.
    Just a thought but have you tried hooking up the camera and opening Device Manager and see if you can get MS to search for it. I'm not on my W10 right now so not sure what shows up in your driver window, ie search for driver.
    Or as Sudo15 said, try the 8/8.1 driver and see if you can update it through Dev. Mgr.
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2016-05-29 at 16:31.

Thanks
    Make sure your WiFi is set to disable, then try. I assume you are using USB port.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    According to Canon for your model, you don't need any drivers -

Canon 70D.PNG

But have you considered Win 8/8.1 drivers to see if they will work -

http://www.canondriver.net/tag/software-canon-eos-70d/
    Thanks for your post.

I don't see any drivers on that page. Just Canon software for the camera. There are no drivers included with that software. I checked the Canon web site and saw no drivers for 8.1, 8, 7 , vista or XP.
    George

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Just a thought but have you tried hooking up the camera and opening Device Manager and see if you can get MS to search for it. I'm not on my W10 right now so not sure what shows up in your driver window, ie search for driver.
    Or as Sudo15 said, try the 8/8.1 driver and see if you can update it through Dev. Mgr.
    Thanks for your reply.

Yes I've tried that. This is what I get.

Capture70d4.JPG
    George

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    Make sure your WiFi is set to disable, then try. I assume you are using USB port.
    Thanks for your post.

I've already checked that.
    George

Thanks
    Looks like you posted here also http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4010446 and found no resolution other than trying a card reader or re-installing software. From what I gather on the other forum, your camera worked with your original upgrade to W10 but a subsequent update/upgrade caused the problem. There is another thread here http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/So...10/td-p/147789 about pairing over Wi-Fi with the EOS utility that may be worth a try.
    HTH

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is that EOS Utility 2.14.20a update in that link not a firmware update you could try - which was the one I had in mind.

Reading some of lumpy95's link, that was mentioned as a possible fix.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't know if this helps but I have a Canon 60D from a few years ago. I didn't install the software that came with it but if I plug in a Digital [USB] cable [no Wi-Fi on this model] it shows up in File Explorer's Devices and drives as another drive [no drive letter assigned] and I can work with the images stored on the SDHC card in Canon EOS 60D\SD\DCIM\100Canon. The 100Canon Folder numbers may change over time or with different models.

Thanks
    Are you using the USB cable that came with the camera? My camera (sorry, not a Canon) is not recognized using a standard USB cable, but is recognized using the cable that came with the camera. The camera USB cable has a thumb-sized wart near the mini end that evidently contains the hardware ID for the camera.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Mine uses just a Mini-B cable that comes with a number of devices, this is a page of examples:
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=4064-70505...AD&ia=products

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Are you using the USB cable that came with the camera? My camera (sorry, not a Canon) is not recognized using a standard USB cable, but is recognized using the cable that came with the camera. The camera USB cable has a thumb-sized wart near the mini end that evidently contains the hardware ID for the camera.
    I have been using the camera cable, but I don't think that "thumb-sized wart" has anything to do with identifying the camera. I have a few cables with similar warts, I've used them interchangeably with no problems. I think that wart has some electrical circiutry, possibly a filter.
    George

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Looks like you posted here also http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4010446 and found no resolution other than trying a card reader or re-installing software. From what I gather on the other forum, your camera worked with your original upgrade to W10 but a subsequent update/upgrade caused the problem. There is another thread here http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/So...10/td-p/147789 about pairing over Wi-Fi with the EOS utility that may be worth a try.
    HTH
    I'm familiar with that Canon Forum thread. It was about an EOS utility issue with Win 10. I actually posted in the thread.
    There is another thread also on the Canon Forum that is related to my issue, but the OP has a slightly different issue possibly.
    http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EO...ter/m-p/174655
    George

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Is that EOS Utility 2.14.20a update in that link not a firmware update you could try - which was the one I had in mind.

Reading some of lumpy95's link, that was mentioned as a possible fix.
    No just an update to the EOS utility.
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast