Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

help needed with UAC

hi all. i know there are some posts about UAC but wondered if someone could help me with the problem below, please?

i bought a laptop for my wife with genuine windows 7 pro on it and allowed it to update to windows 10 pro. however, she decided she didn't want the laptop. i had set it up with my name as log in, with administrator privileges, so when logging on, i just had the one name come up and clicked on that to complete the boot sequence into windows.
    a friend wants the laptop so i tried to change the log in name, using control panel, from my name to my friends (say steve, for arguments sake). under my name i had turned off completely the UAC, however, having changed the name now, i kept getting the UAC pop up on screen, telling me that i couldn't open this or that as i was logged in under the wrong name. i had to go back to my name in UAC to stop this happening.
    can you tell me please how i can change the account name and still turn off UAC and not have the message about incorrect account used jumping up under UAC? if i cant rename that account, how can i add a new account and then get rid of my account, replacing it with my friends?
    i hope i have explained my query correctly and someone has the time to help me. please bear in mind that, as i assume i will only be able to do this under the Run Cmd, i will need to have the full instructions as this is not something i have done before.

can someone help me please?

Many TIA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Why don't you reset the machine using the Windows 10 reset mechanism getting rid of all your files. It is like starting fresh. Go to Settings | Update & Security | Recovery | Reset this PC (Get started button). Select "Remove everything". This is will get rid of all file, programs, apps, and custom settings.
    Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Paul T (2016-05-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks

help needed with UAC

tnx for reply, JoeP517. would that not mean i had to reinstall everything on the laptop again, from scratch? what is on it atm are not my personal files or programs, but things that were needed by me and are needed by my friend. i had only installed what was going to be needed anyway, but there's still a lot of time gone into it and it would have to be repeated. i had hoped there was a way like i asked above which would have been an easier and quicker option.
    is what i asked about originally not an option for me?

Thanks
    There might be a way without a ReInstall or Reset. Can you access the built-in administrator account? I know about Windows 7 pretty fair, however, I do not know Windows 10, guessing here. If you can access the built-in admin acct, you can delete the account[s] you no longer want on the laptop.
    I believe Windows Club's Ultimate Windows Tweaker 3 or 4, will work to give you access to the built-in admin acct.
    [By the way, use UWT very carefully, very conservatively, quick clicks can lead to long-term grief.]
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Pettygrim,

Here's what I'd do.

1. Go to Control Panel Users.
    2. Setup a New Administrator account with your Friends name.
    3. Log off of your account.
    4. Log on to the new Account.
    5. Copy any data files you want to keep on the machine from the Documents folder under your named account (C:\USERS\your name\Documents) to the Documents folder under this new account (C:\USERS\your Friends Name\Documents)
    6. Go back to Control Panel Users and delete the account with your name.
    7. Done

All your programs should still be there and accessible although if they weren't installed for "All Users" you may need to create new shortcuts for easy access. Just navigate the the correct folder in either "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" folders, right-click on the executable file for the program and select "Send to Desktop"

Of course, before attempting this you should make an Image Backup of the C: drive and the appropriate Bootable Recovery Media so you can recover if things go south, although this shouldn't cause those types of problems it's better safe than sorry!

HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2016-05-30 at 09:56.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    tnx for reply, RolandJS. i'll see if i can find Ultimate Tweaker for windows 10 and if that can help.

is it perhaps possible to create a new account via control panel as a user with admin privileges, then delete the account that's not wanted, without losing the programs etc or access?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    hi RetiredGeek and tnx for your reply. it sounds as if what you suggest is what i had just asked about but posted before i saw your suggestion. i can give that a try and hope it works. i already did a backup and little has been done on the laptop since then. fingers crossed, eh?

if anyone knows of another way, just incase this goes pear shaped, please post anyway.
    if i am successful, i'll post back.

many tnx to all

New Lounger
    Thanks
    out of curiosity, RolandJS, would you anticipate the UAC issue happening if the new account is made, (which is obviously the point of the whole exercise, to stop that happening)?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    UAC is just a mechanism to make sure that the user is aware that the program being run has the ability change system settings and needs permission to do it. If the user running the program is not a member of the admin group then credentials of a user who is a member of the admin group is required. If the user is a member of the admin group then consent is all that is required.

Most people don't see UAC prompts very often.
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd agree with RetiredGeek. After creating a new useraccount with your friend's name, you can test that everything works when logged on as your friend (for days if you need the time) before opening Control Panel/Users and removing your old account.
    You don't "pull the trigger" until you know it works the way you intend.

RockE

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettygrim View Post
    out of curiosity, RolandJS, would you anticipate the UAC issue happening if the new account is made, (which is obviously the point of the whole exercise, to stop that happening)?
    I really don't know; I think the two previous posters following your question to me appeared to have answered it.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Prettygrim -- There's a first time for everyone. Refer to RetiredGeek's post and if there is some step you don't understand just post back. We'll try to guide you through it.

RockE

New Lounger
    Thanks

help needed with UAC

ok guys, tnx for the help/advice so far. just wanted to update you with what i have done.
    following the info given above by RetiredGeek, i managed to create a new account with my friends name. i then had to find out how to get to it, because when i looked for a 'log off' under the start menu, behold, there wasn't one, ha ha. anyway, i found out that to switch user, i had to do a CTRL-Alt-Delete which gave me the switch option. after doing this, i tried a couple of things which seemed to work and thought it best to do a reboot and see which account came up.
    the first thing i had on screen when rebooting was that someone else was using the machine and that work may be lost if i carried on. i did carry on and the machine rebooted using the correct account, the new one. as said above, i want to leave things for a few days to make sure everything is working ok but did try to see if the availability was there for me to remove/delete the account under my name. i looked in control panel, user accounts and could see my account but i was not able to get the 'delete' option for it.
    so, my next questions are:
    if i leave that account there, will it hurt? ( i suspect not, but want to check)
    if i leave that account there, is it using much space?
    the options under the new account were less than my named account. does that matter, how do i get the new account to have the same options as my account?
    how do i get rid of my account completely, without doing any damage or preventing something from working correctly?

again, many TIA

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettygrim View Post
    when i looked for a 'log off' under the start menu, behold, there wasn't one, ha ha.
    To Sign out or Switch account in Windows 10, click the account name/picture at the top of the start menu:

Windows10SignoutSwitchaccount.png

New Lounger
    Thanks

help needed with UAC

well, i have to say, i didn't see that! is it any wonder people, certainly me, dont like windows 10?

tnx for that, BruceR. i doubt if i would ever have seen it, ha ha

anyway, anyone advise on the other questions above that i asked, please?

TIA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast