Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Advanced (at least for me) mail merge - directory to email

    Let me begin by saying that I am a NOVICE when it comes to Word fields and advanced Word anything.

    That said I have spent the last few days reading Macropod's tutorials and attempting to dissect the examples he's given. I've had limited success. I can get the merge to do certain things but when I try for the whole thing, it doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong. What I want to do is send an email with the text shown in the document titled "Email Merge Main Document.doc" as per macropod's instructions for the RunMerge script.

    Sometimes the RunMerge script shows up, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it crashes and sometimes it doesn't. I don't know why it is come and go but it is. I can also get my email merge main document to output the files the way I want when I do a test merge using Word's merge function (although it gives me an error for every record I output). It spits out all of the content the way I want it to look (after cancelling the error) however when I try to use the runmerge it doesn't work anymore. I was able to get an email sent to me once however I tried to fix it and made it worse.

    Any help would be VERY much appreciated. I'd like to understand what I did however imagine yourself trying to swim across the English Channel without knowing how to swim. That's where I am right now.

    The files I'm using are attached.

    Thanks again - Steve

    Catalogue Merge Data.xlsxEmail Merge Main Document.docmMailmerge Main Document.docm

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Posts
    5,055
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 417 Times in 346 Posts
    Your 'Email Merge Main Document' isn't set up anything like the one described in the tutorial and your 'Mailmerge Main Document' has a ] character from the tutorial (used to help delineate the fields) that shouldn't have been copied into that document.

    For an alternative approach, see: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...1-1996c14dca5d
    Cheers,

    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •