Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Numbers to Words (money)

Microsoft has a macro to convert a number to the words (e.g., 25 becomes Twenty Five Dollars and No Cents).

The problem w/their macro is that it is grammatically incorrect (at least in the US).

25 should be "twenty-five" with the hyphen.

Also, something like 12345 gets converted to: Twelve Thousand Three Hundred Forty Five Dollars and No Cents

Not only should the Forty-Five have a hyphen, but also there should be a comma after the "Thousand" and either "and" or an ampersand before "Forty"

It would also be nice to have the macro write the number as on a check when there are cents.
    It would typically show "25/100" for 25 cents rather than spelling out Twenty-Five Cents.

Does any know of another macro that does it correctly?
    Last edited by kweaver; 2016-06-01 at 19:20.

Thanks
    Is this something you can achieve with AutoCorrect Options?
    File > Options > Proofing > AutoCorrect Options... (2010)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    While I could enter all of the possibles (should be easier) like "Twenty Five" to "Twenty-Five" that only seems work when I type the entry in words.

Thanks
    Seems to work for me although I would never want to substitute Twenty-Five for 25

KW1.png

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, you're right regarding the numbers like that but, as you said, wouldn't want all 25s to be changed.
    But, it won't handle the various cases like 12345 to be Twelve Thousand, Three Hundred and Forty-Five.
    I'd have to enter every number. YIKES.

The MS macro "almost" works -- just grammatically incorrect.

Thanks
    KW,

Can you post the link to the MS macro. Perhaps it can be tweaked.

Maud

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Maud,

Here is one version:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/213360

--
    Regards,
    Tom Ogilvy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Tom. That's the one I've been using. I wrote some regular code in 2 other columns to adjust for what I wanted.
    Not good enough to tweak the macro on my own, so thought someone may have done it in the past. Maud will score, I'm sure.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Several years ago there was a data base program called "ENABLE". Using that I programed to convert numbers to words for check writing. It followed all the grammatical rules described except for the comma after "Thousand" Microsoft bought the Company and discontinued the data base.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kweaver View Post
    Microsoft has a macro to convert a number to the words (e.g., 25 becomes Twenty Five Dollars and No Cents).

The problem w/their macro is that it is grammatically incorrect (at least in the US).

25 should be "twenty-five" with the hyphen.

Also, something like 12345 gets converted to: Twelve Thousand Three Hundred Forty Five Dollars and No Cents

Not only should the Forty-Five have a hyphen, but also there should be a comma after the "Thousand" and either "and" or an ampersand before "Forty"

It would also be nice to have the macro write the number as on a check when there are cents.
    It would typically show "25/100" for 25 cents rather than spelling out Twenty-Five Cents.

Does any know of another macro that does it correctly?
    Hi KW,

If it is for a check writer, I am attaching an Excel file that I used some years ago (no macros - just a lot of VLOOKUP). I have tweaked it slightly to your requirements (hopefully).

If you would like the original file, do let me know.

Please note that I am unsure if the file is under copyright as I had got it of the web some years ago. My apologies to the holder of the copyright if I have caused any infringement.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    MikeDee...thanks. It's actually for a "fake" check but looks like a real one. It's done via a Mail Merge.

Your version, unless I'm mis-reading, doesn't put in the hyphen consistently.
    Last edited by kweaver; 2016-06-02 at 12:36.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi

I have most of it done as you want, but how do you want these:
    e.g. "One hundred and twenty-three thousand, four hundred and fifty-six dollars and 28/100"
    e.g. "twelve thousand and twenty-six dollars and 40/100"
    e.g. "twelve thousand no hundreds and twenty-six dollars 40/100"

zeddy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zeddy View Post
    Hi

I have most of it done as you want, but how do you want these:
    e.g. "One hundred and twenty-three thousand, four hundred and fifty-six dollars and 28/100"
    e.g. "twelve thousand and twenty-six dollars and 40/100"
    e.g. "twelve thousand no hundreds and twenty-six dollars 40/100"

zeddy
    Hi zeddy,

Firstly please keep in mind that this is not my workbook and that I have just been experimenting with the various layouts - not having used it for 10 years.

I'm not really an expert in this - but for :

123456.287 - you will need to do some digging into the formulae if you want the 3rd decimal place. If however, you actually meant 123456.28

"One hundred and twenty-three thousand, four hundred and fifty-six dollars and 28/100" - replace "Cents" in cell G2 with "/ 100" AND replace "=VLOOKUP(D7,Words,2,FALSE)" in cell F7 with "=VLOOKUP(D7,Words2,2,FALSE)"

"twelve thousand and twenty-six dollars and 40/100" - replace "Cents" in cell G2 with "/ 100" AND remove the "," in cells A7, A15 and cells A19 AND replace "=F19&F18""with "=F19&F2&" "&F18"

It would take me a while to sort out the third one - but what I would suggest is that you go through and play about with the formulae in "F2W Code" and experiment.

It might also be a good idea for you to save the workbook with different filenames - depending on what outcome you need. Your mileage may vary depending on the numbers that you use.

IMPORTANT - be aware that a lot of the cells have blank spaces either before or after the contents - and changing / removing the spaces will alter the output

HTH

Mike

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Zeddy.

123456.287 would be One Hundred and Twenty-Three Thousand, Four Hundred and Fifty-Six Dollars and 29/100 (if you want to throw in rounding to be thorough. In my case, there's no rounding...all of the money in the "pennies" is 2-digits).

12026.40 would be Twelve Thousand, Twenty-Six Dollars and 40/100

Are you writing a macro from scratch or modifying the Microsoft one?

Kevin

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Kevin

..I'm starting from scratch.
    My example of 123456.287 was to test whether you wanted to ignore or use rounding for the cents.
    So what about what numeric range shall we work to?
    I would think that, for cheques, oops, for checks, perhaps numbers LESS than a billion would be OK???

zeddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast