Thanks

Moving user folders created problem

My friend has a new MSI laptop with an SSD drive and a 1 TB hard drive (D: drive). Surprisingly, MSI did not put the user folders on the D drive, it is empty.

The SSD drive is giving messages that it is filling up, so I decided to move the User folders over there, using the same techniques I have used in the past, although never did it with an SSD.

I decided to move Contacts first, as a test, since it is really not used by my friend. I created a folder called UserFiles on D. I went into the default user folder, right clicked on Contacts>Properties>Location and moved it to D: UserFiles. Oddly, when I looked in the D drive after that, I do not see the UserFiles folder anymore, I just see Contacts. Although if I right clicked on it and looked in Location, it says it is in the UserFiles folder.

I called MSI, they said they do not recommend moving the user folders. I decided we could live with that, I'll just store some files on D.

So I moved Contacts back to the user folder where it came from on C:/Users/Mike, and it did the same odd thing. When I now navigate to the Users folder on C, I do not see the Mike folder, I only see Contacts shown. Even though if I go to Windows Explorer and right click on Documents or Desktop, it shows them as being in C:Users/Mike. And they really are in there. They just do not show up when I navigate there with Windows Explorer.

Any ideas what I need to do to make the Users>Mike folder appear when I navigate to there?

Thanks

Thanks
    What folder do you end up in, when you're in Contacts folder and click on the parent folder dots ".."? Or click the up arrow to go up a level?

You could try creating a new user and copy Mike's folders into it. If it works, rename the old folder and then rename the new one to Mike. If works, delete old folder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    MSI, they said they do not recommend moving the user folders.
    I tried moving user folders too a few years ago. I don't recall specifics, but whatever issues I encountered caused me to restore the old setup. Now I just periodically move their contents to my large HD, which keeps the C: SSD from filling.

Iirc user bbearen had some excellent posts here on this topic for Win7, might be worth digging up if you're techie.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2016-06-08)

Thanks
    If I go up from "Contacts" I am in the root of the D: drive. The folder is not really Contacts, it is still UserFiles, just something messed up the shell extensions or whatever they call that, so that it is displaying as Contacts in File Explorer.

Your idea to create a new user is a good idea, it would probably work. If this creates any issues for him, I will do that. But right now it is just an oddity.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    For it to work the way you want, you would need to create a folder within the userfiles folder to contain the contacts and then use the move procedure to point to that folder.

In other words, the new contacts folder should be a subfolder of the userfiles folder.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2016-06-08)

Thanks
    Thanks for confirming that. I was wondering if that was what I should have done. I've never had to do that on other computers, but it looked like that is what this computer wanted.

Thanks