Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update Problem On HP ProBook 4540s

I am trying to check for Windows updates for my late partner's HP ProBook 4540s running Windows 7 with SP1. Every time I try the checking for updates spinning circle goes on for ever, but nothing happens. I tried a couple of Microsoft Fixits and also the tweaking.com Windows repair program, but the problem persists. Windows Update hadn't been run for a long time, so there definitely must be updates available.

If anyone can suggest what else I can try to fix the problem I would be very grateful.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try the steps in Fred Langa's recent article: How to completely reset Windows Update

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What do you mean by "spinning circle" ?

When you do a manual Check for updates you normally get an animated horizontal green bar - what are you getting ?

Thanks
    spinning circle sounds like W10. Maybe another mystery upgrade?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried option 3 in the following link-http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html-and also tried a couple of Microsoft Fixits for Windows Update, but the problem persisted. I then carried out the Non Destructive Reinstall procedure, but that didn't solve the problem either. Apart from that, after the Non Destructive Reinstall I found that Internet Explorer had changed from IE11 to IE8. I installed IE11 from the .exe file I downloaded from Microsoft, and installation was said to be successful, but IE8 is still installed, not IE11.

If anyone has any further suggestions I would be grateful, otherwise I will have to perform a fresh installation.

Sudo15, my mistake. I do get the animated horizontal green bar.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Were you able to activate Windows as a genuine install following the repair install ?

To confirm, go Start - type activate windows and press enter then wait for the pop up to see what it says.

Is the clock still showing the correct date & time ?

Did one of the MS Fixits you have tried include the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) ?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...readiness-tool

This can also sit for a while checking your computer for updates, but when completed you can view the Checksur log in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then double click on the Checksur one which will open in Notepad.

Rather than a clean install, as you are using an OEM machine then perhaps a factory reset after backing up the personal stuff may do it, although if the problem is on MS's end then you will have done a fair bit of work for nothing.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have seen this totally unrelated update solve slow WU issues on 3 different PC's. If you download it, it will start by looking for updates, but since it is only looking for 1 update instead of many, it will take less time. Might still take awhile for it to run, but once installed, manual WU searches are very fast. Since then, I hide any and all updates reported to fix WU issues as I do not want to have any issues again. Might be worth a try for you.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3145739

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    On my other Win 7 laptop which is the problematic one, I tried a manual download of KB3102810 and it was on hours searching the computer for updates that after about 11, I eventually gave it up as a lost cause and this was after a factory reset.

It had originally auto given me just 12 updates which is well short of what it should have given me.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo 15, Windows is activated and the clock shows the correct time and date.

I ran the SURT tool but it made no difference.

One good thing, I now have IE11.

I now have Windows Update icon in the system tray telling me updates are available, but when I click on that no updates are listed for downloading and Windows Update says checking for updates but that runs for hours without finding any.

Idb,the link opens a totally unrelated update, not KB3145739.

Another anomaly is that Installed Updates lists 11 updates,although I never received any advice of them being available for download,and Update history says no updates have been installed.

I want to avoid reinstalling Windows, although If I have to I will use the HP DVD that came with the laptop, instead of the DVD I burned from an .iso download.

Further help would be appreciated, as I want to avoid reinstalling Windows afresh if possible.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if this will help or not but go Start - type services.msc and press enter.

Scroll down to Window Module Installer.

This service is default set to Manual and may or not be started - if it isn't showing as Manual or even auto then right click on it - select Properties and use the dropdown to change its status.

If it is set to Manual but not started, then click on it then on Start in the upper left pane.

This service has to be started to allow you to uninstall Windows Updates, so could be related to them not being listed when you go to Windows Update - but it's a puzzler for you to get the notification when it doesn't display any.

Is there anything in Event Viewer that could give a clue on this ?

The updates you already have could be related to IE 11 as that has some baggage with it.

Go Start - start to type reliability and when View reliability history is highlighted, press enter and that will list what and when they were installed.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The link to the download page is in the link I provided. In this page are the download links for your OS be it 32 or 64 bit. I know and stated that this update seems totally unrelated to WU issues, but it has dramatically improved WU response on 3 PC's I have put it on.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS16-039

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ldb View Post
    The link to the download page is in the link I provided. In this page are the download links for your OS be it 32 or 64 bit. I know and stated that this update seems totally unrelated to WU issues, but it has dramatically improved WU response on 3 PC's I have put it on.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS16-039
    I have that KB already installed from April, but Roy hasn't said how far back he has to go for the outstanding updates.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15, I did as you suggested in post #10, but that didnt solve the problem.

Reliability history shows Volume Shadow Copy, installation of KB50123 and Windows Update Aux.

idb, the link you gave me does not refer to KB3145739.

help!

Thanks and regards, Roy
    Last edited by royw; 2016-06-08 at 03:34.

Roy Whitethread

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    KB3153199 is being touted as the latest one to resolve hung check for updates.

If that gets hung on searching your computer for updates, then disconnect from the Internet as previously suggested.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=52232

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15, I couldn't get KB3153199 to work. I tried KB3145739 but I was told only one instance of wusa is allowed to run, which puzzles me because as far as I know only one instance was running.

Please advise further.

Roy Whitethread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast