Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Homegroup won't come home

I have 4 computers: my main one which has just had Win10 reinstalled, a backup computer, a laptop and a spare computer which I use for testing new software. All the computers (except the backup which has Win7) are Win10. I created a homegroup on the laptop and tried to join the others.They all did (inc. the Win7 one) but NOT the main one. When I click on Homegroup on it in CP, it says there is no Homegroup on the network and would I like to create one? It is set to find other comps on the network and also to be found by them but it sees nothing and none of the others can see it either.

The main is connected to the modem by wire, the others by wireless through a wireless router (also connected to the modem by wire). All 4 can access the net and each other except this odd one out. I had considered shutting down the Homegroup from the laptop and starting a new one from the main one but I suspect the result will be the same: it will be on its own in the Homegroup. Can anyone suggest a solution to this eerie problem? One of the reasons I'm anxious to get the main one connected is that I had lost all my documents, pics etc. in a major crash and would like to share all those that exist on the other computers and of course to keep updating it (I'm using the backup as my main one until I have restored everything on the main that I had lost). Before you ask, all computers are up-to-date and virus/malware free and working error-free.

Thanks
    If, on all computers, you Share the involved folders, and in Control Panel Network/Sharing panel you click on share this, share that, make public, etc. -- all computers should be able to converse with each other via Explorer's left side menu Network. My three computers here, running Windows 7 Pro, only share via Explorer, never Homegroup.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

clover47 (2016-06-04)

Lounger
    Thanks
    All computers (and files) are set to share but only in Private, not Public, in other words, only within the Network. In Explorer I can see every other computer except the Main and vice versa. No idea why.

Thanks
    Clover47, I never really understood the WHYs of the WHATs. In my home, all three talk to each other.
    When I take one laptop to school, I immediately go into Network/Sharing area, change advanced sharing settings, both home[?] and public sections -- I turn off all sharing, turn off all searching, turn off all publishing, turn on ask for password -- save and do my good stuff at school
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Most routers have wired connections. Can you connect the main PC to the router?
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    It is connected. The ones that are wireless are the other 3 which all see each other.
    "The main is connected to the modem by wire, the others by wireless through a wireless router"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Does the router have a firewall?
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    No it hasn't. And I'm not using Windows firewall either but Karspersky which has its own firewall.

Thanks
    You might consider disabling Kaspersky Firewall and using only Windows Firewall on all computers, then test. My Comodo was causing data-const--er blockage somewhat, changed to Windows Firewall -- all is well

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

clover47 (2016-06-05)

Lounger
    Thanks
    That's actually a very good suggestion; unfortunately it won't work. I forgot to mention something. My Kaspersky is a 1-year sub for 3 computers. The last one, the Test Computer is not on K, just a standard anti virus and normal W firewall. It can see 2 of the other computers (except Main) and vice versa, so Main cannot see either the 2 K comps nor the 1 on W firewall. If not for that, I would have removed all the K firewalls and tried them all on W but it seems it won't make any difference. But still a very good suggestion, thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Clover, hello.
    Couple of things to check: in Control Panel, click on System, then on Computor name. Ensure that they all have the same name, it defaults to "Workgroup" at times. Also, make sure that they all belong to either a private network or business. Both these settings are in "Computor Name ".

These might be useless suggestions but worth a try. I have had no end of trouble in W-10 and Network but lately, they have been easy on me, nopro. I keep writing it up un Feedback Hub, let us both kept harping on this. Jean.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

clover47 (2016-06-06)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jean. I used to have a business name before my paraplegia and the initials of it were SD. I've kept that up and all my computers now have SD instead of Workgroup, even the few I still fix for friends but I'll make sure I haven't accidentally missed one. I've never had problems with it prior to Win10 (which should be renamed Win1 or even Win½ or even Win¼!)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    ...in Control Panel, click on System, then on Computor name. Ensure that they all have the same name, it defaults to "Workgroup" at times...
    Confusion of "Computer Name" with "Workgroup" settings.

"Computer Name" setting must be unique for each system within the Workgroup (e.g.: "JACKS-PC-1", "JACKS-PC-2", etc.).

The "Workgroup" setting must be the same on each system, e.g.: "WORKGROUP", "MSHOME", or one you choose yourself for your workgroup.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Coochin.

No confusion here, I might say. "Computor Name" referred to the tab after you go System in Control Panel, not the actual computer name, that has no meaning in actual LAN setup, methinks. Mentioning "Workgroup" leads to the proper action, in my mind, anyway.

Have a great day. Jean.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I couldn't agree more. Both of these appear under the System properties. The computer name is basically that you can identify which computer from among several you are looking at. They have no meaning to the system per se. The workgroup however is a different story. The "Workgroup" is just a default name to ensure some name is put in there but it can be changed to whatever you choose; but all computers must be in the same workgroup in the system, whatever you name it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast