New Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop & Laptop - should be same or different MS account?

Should I use the same MS account to log on to my desktop and laptop? I rarely use them at the same time but occasionally I do need to remote desktop in to one from the other.

Thanks in advance.

rcmcdee

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Same.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmcdee
    Should I use the same MS account to log on to my desktop and laptop? I rarely use them at the same time but occasionally I do need to remote desktop in to one from the other.
    Additional info - you don't need to use an MS account to use remote desktop. It will still work if you use a local account on one or both devices.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Additional info - you don't need to use an MS account to use remote desktop. It will still work if you use a local account on one or both devices.
    I know remote desktop works but I have not tested it when logged on with the same MS Account on both machines. It did not occur to me as a challenge so now I must test. My laptop is a new Surface Book and that is driving my migration to Windows 10. I have purchased an Office 365 subscription and will install that on both systems as well as for my wife. I have set up my old workstation with Win 10 for playing out the challenges with my software and to build understanding of the issues.

My primary workstation is currently running Win 7x64 (as is the rest of the ecosystem) and loads an array of CAD and graphics software for my industrial design practice. I have a number of Google Drive folders shared with clients and hosted by their accounts. I imagine getting OneDrive operational for keeping my laptop and desktop in sync on the non project files thus both services will be running in the background of the 2 machines. My computing environment is rather complex with a render farm and 3D scanner station so configuring the ecosystem has many challenges.

My family is committed to Google calendar and Android phones so that adds yet another layer of concern. I was hoping this thread might generate a general conversation inre desktop + laptop / Win 10 + Office 365. Perhaps I will start a thread on the Office forum to address those concerns as well. I really like the apparent possibilities of keeping things synchronized between desktop / laptop / clients. It is just not so easy to anticipate the potentially deadly gotchas...

TIA
    rcmcdee

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you wish to share settings between Win10 machines use the same Microsoft account. See Settings | Accounts | Sync Your Settings to see what you can synch.

You should not have any problem using RDP. If you login to a remote machine with the same account as already logged in the already logged in account will be disconnected and your login will take over.
    Joe