Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can I upgrade again for free after the deadline if I upgraded and rolled back?

I upgraded one of my computers to Win 10 and gave it a several-days try. Note that I don't have any touch-screen computers; all mousing. I hated it because it's too "busy". I prefer all text, no icons if possible and couldn't find an option for that. Besides, all those icons simply take up too much space. Can I help it if I got started during the Color Computer era (and then DOS and finally Windows 1 and on up) and am now set in my ways?

I want to know whether I can later upgrade again for free now that I've rolled back to Win 7. After all, it's either upgrade eventually or switch to Linux and I haven't found Linux equivalents for a couple of my use-every-day programs.

Or, if someone's found a way to return Win 10 to my preferred look? If so, I'd give it another try, "my way".

Thanks much.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by areader
    I want to know whether I can later upgrade again for free now that I've rolled back to Win 7.
    When you first upgraded, a copy of your device's 'digital entitlement' (based on its unique hardware ID) was saved on an MS server. When you next 'upgrade' to Windows 10 the install process will check your device's unique hardware ID against the recorded 'digital entitlement' and activate Windows 10 automatically, even after the nominal July 29th 'cut-off' point for free upgrades.

So, the simple answer is... yes.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    If by "preferred look" you mean the Start menu, there are some free and some inexpensive downloads available that present a Windows 7-style Start menu. Classic Shell is one of several. I use StartIsBack++, not free, but only $2.99.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    When you first upgraded, a copy of your device's 'digital entitlement' (based on its unique hardware ID) was saved on an MS server. When you next 'upgrade' to Windows 10 the install process will check your device's unique hardware ID against the recorded 'digital entitlement' and activate Windows 10 automatically, even after the nominal July 29th 'cut-off' point for free upgrades.
    I've seen this mentioned by people, but have not seen anything official that says this is the case. Can you point to something official?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Graham, have a look here.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Graham, have a look here.
    I may be overlooking it, but I see nothing there that says you can upgrade, then remove it, and then upgrade again after the "free period" is over.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I may be overlooking it, but I see nothing there that says you can upgrade, then remove it, and then upgrade again after the "free period" is over.
    I agree with you. Microsoft may make a record of your Win 10 upgrade so you can reinstall if necessary, but I bet if you downgrade to Win 8.1 or 7 before the 31 day period, they unmake that record.

BTW I had upgraded to Win 10 and then had to rebuild my PC (MB, processor ram etc.). I was unable to do a Win 10 install and get it activated. I had to reinstall Win 7 and upgrade again. Even Microsoft support couldn't help. They recommended re-installing Windows 7.
    Last edited by High Sierra; 2016-06-06 at 12:25. Reason: added last 2 sentences.
    George

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, it's everything that uses icons. Among my peeves about icons is that they're ordered horizontally, not vertically, and even if you make them very small, you still can't get the same number on your screen that the old "list" view shows.

And another, really minor quibble: when you prefer a blank screen rather than a background picture, your choice of colors is now prechosen, and I find all of them too dark for me. I need more contrast, but don't want black on white. What happened to "mixing" your own custom color?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra
    BTW I had upgraded to Win 10 and then had to rebuild my PC (MB, processor ram etc.). I was unable to do a Win 10 install and get it activated. I had to reinstall Win 7 and upgrade again.
    After changing 2 significant components, the stored GUID (based on the device's hardware) no longer matched, hence no 'digital entitlement'.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    After changing 2 significant components, the stored GUID (based on the device's hardware) no longer matched, hence no 'digital entitlement'.
    Too bad the Microsoft Support people didn't know that. It took a couple of days of back and forth before they came up with that answer.

I also found interesting reading after a google search with 'What happens to my free Windows 10 upgrade after 29 July 2016 if I need to change hardware?'

Basically Retail Win 7 and Win 8.1 licenses become OEM.
    George

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I've seen this mentioned by people, but have not seen anything official that says this is the case. Can you point to something official?
    I haven't found stone cold proof of that either. On the other hand, there are some folks who are of the opinion that you can re-upgrade later for free. How To Geek is one.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra View Post
    Too bad the Microsoft Support people didn't know that. It took a couple of days of back and forth before they came up with that answer.

I also found interesting reading after a google search with 'What happens to my free Windows 10 upgrade after 29 July 2016 if I need to change hardware?'

Basically Retail Win 7 and Win 8.1 licenses become OEM.
    In Microsoft licensing terms a new motherboard means a new PC. That means you need a new version of Windows. Often when you call support about activation if you get a nice person you'll be able to get an activation code. Sometimes, though, you will be out of luck.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    In Microsoft licensing terms a new motherboard means a new PC. That means you need a new version of Windows. Often when you call support about activation if you get a nice person you'll be able to get an activation code. Sometimes, though, you will be out of luck.
    Does that mean that you should keep trying until you get that nice person? This is a serious question, as I assume that you can contact them more than once over this issue.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    In my experience, if it's a direct replacement, there's no problem. If it's an upgrade, not so good.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    I haven't found stone cold proof of that either. On the other hand, there are some folks who are of the opinion that you can re-upgrade later for free.
    It's possible they are correct and they are referring to something MS has stated. But I have not seen that something and MS has been switching gears so frantically for the past year that it would be nice to see that something officially.

Geek says, "Once your PC is eligible, it’s always eligible..." That seems to be the crux of the matter. I get the idea, and it does make sense. But, this also presumes that after the cutoff, you can still download a free upgrade. Perhaps, if you were to download the upgrade, install it, get verified, then revert to Win7; but keep the upgrade to use later if you wanted it, then you would be safe. But that presumes that the upgrade you get now would still work 6 months from now.

That's a lot of assumptions.

This is not an academic question for many people. The computer I use most is Win7 and I can see no reason at this point to upgrade it. In fact, I already know it will disable at least one program I use from time to time. But never is a long time and this computer has a couple more good years in it and it's possible that a few months from now, something will change my mind.

For this reason, I am considering upgrading (after making an image) just to get that digital entitlement on the offhand chance I will want to use it. IOW, I'd like to get a rain check. But I'd prefer to not spend a day or two screwing around with an upgrade and restore unless I'm reasonably certain it will actually do something for me.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast