Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Critical Updates

Last night I downloaded 6 critical updates (6.7MB) using Windows Update in XP. All six were downloaded and installed by the program. After the reboot process I tried to connect my modem using "Connect to" in the Start menu those panes "frozen open". I could still move my mouse pointer and open up Outlook 2000 using the icon on the desktop, so only part of XP was frozen. In about a minute the dial up dialog appeared and asked me to connect my modem to the telephone line. I then used the turn off computer from XP to power off my machine. I rebooted and the same thing happened. I used System Restore to back date my system before I installed these critical updates. After running System REstore my computer acted as before no freeze or delay in obtaining dialog box for my modem connection. Before I installed the Critical Updates I installed Windows 2000 and all went well.

This morning I used Windows Update again to find out the critical updates I had installed and found that only five were now available to me. I am assuming one could not be "de-installed" by System Restore. The critical updates that are NOT installed are the following:
    Security Update Dec 13, 2.3 MB
    Security Update Dec 17, 585 KB
    Windows XP Application Compatibility 1.5 MB
    Remote Assistance Connection 284 KB
    WIndows XP Update Package Oct 25 1.9 MB

Can someone help me
    Thank you for this great lounge

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Critical Updates

Ah, the beauty of System Restore - it has also saved my skin a few times from the inexplicable. My suggestion to you since we really don't know what caused the hangup is to perform the following steps:

1. <LI>Create a System Restore checkpoint.
      <LI>Visit Windows Update and select the first entry or critical update. Download and install.
      <LI>Reboot your system and try the dial up.
    It is a slightly arduous task, I know, but by doing this, you will be able to determine exactly which update causes you the problem. If you install an update and the system exhibits the same problem, you can revert to the previous System Restore checkpoint. I'd certainly be interested in knowing what update is causing the problem.

Are you also certain these were all critical updates? I can't check at the moment but I am fairly sure that the Application Compatibility updates are not considered critical, but are (in Microsoft speak) "Recommended Updates."
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Critical Updates

I did as you suggested: created a System Restore point of each update and downloaded 4 of the remaining 5 updates one at a time starting with one at the top of the list. The only update I did not load is the "Windows XP Application Compatibility Update" since I do use any of those programs that are listed in the knowledge based article.

It seems like my PC is acting properly. The dial up modem box comes up very quickly, I am not experiencing any of the problems I had last night.

Thanks again for your help