Thanks

Win 10 Backup/Recovery/License?

Hi All,

I currently have a Dell computer with an OEM Win 10 X64 license (not an upgrade). I create a Win 10 backup with a full system image to my backup drive.

I want to build a new FAST system, can I restore that backup LEGALLY to my newly built system? I will NOT ever use the old system again, I'm not sure how the Win 10 licencing goes but I want to keep all my data from the old computer on the new computer as I have many programs I don't want to reinstall..

If thats not possible whats the best way to proceed here???

Any and ALL direction will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks
    Legally, you cannot "move" this OEM Windows to another computer. MS server sniffers will eventually invalidate that "moved" Windows. I don't know how, but I'm wondering if it is possible to purchase a Microsoft TrueBlue Windows 10 license [for that exact version/edition/whateverItIs] -- which means no more OEM, and you can "move" "transfer" that MS TrueBlue from one computer to another to another and so on.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    OK,

I will buy a Win 10 license X64 home, I am not trying to cheat, now how do I restore my original full disk image onto the new system with the old system image, or I can't? The old system image of course includes the OEM operating system, I can't after I buy a license put that onto my new computer?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve1209
    I currently have a Dell computer with an OEM Win 10 X64 license (not an upgrade). I create a Win 10 backup with a full system image to my backup drive.

I want to build a new FAST system, can I restore that backup LEGALLY to my newly built system? I will NOT ever use the old system again, I'm not sure how the Win 10 licencing goes but I want to keep all my data from the old computer on the new computer as I have many programs I don't want to reinstall..
    Only if the old system uses a retail (not OEM) 64-bit build of a Windows version eligible for upgrade (7 or 8.1) and the same type (Home or Pro)... and even then you may have to phone MS to activate. (I'm assuming the 'many programs I don't want to reinstall' are on the Dell.)

Let's call them 'D' (Dell), 'O' (old) and 'N' (New).

Let's say 'D' is W10 Home x64. Based on the device's OEM 'tattoo' (hidden code stored in the BIOS/UEFI that identifies the manufacturer and Windows eligibility), when you connect to the internet, Windows 10 will contact MS' activation servers and announce itself as eligible for activation. After checking, the device's GUID (a unique ID generated from the device's hardware) will be stored on these servers and the OS activated.

You transfer your data from 'O' to a backup location. This is so you can wipe 'O' and thus release the retail Windows license... unless the retail pack is one of the 'can be installed on up to 3 devices' packs, in which case you can keep 'O' running as is if there's a spare license. (You cannot legally transfer an OEM license from one device to another, irrespective of whether it's Home, Pro or whatever.)

You install the same retail version of Windows on 'N' that you used on 'O'. (Note that it must be both 'Home' and x64 if you want the final W10 version to activate.)

Assuming that this new W7/W8.1 install activates then you download the x64 W10 installer ISO and follow steps 3-6 in the procedure here to store the 'GenuineTicket.xml' file with the activation details. (This is just in case the 'restored' W10 won't activate using the product key from the retail box.)

Next you restore the full system image from your backup drive to 'N'. If you're lucky, it will work enough for you to start replacing incorrect drivers... but will not activate.

If all goes well then you should be able to use the product key from the retail licence to activate the new install online from within 'Settings'. If not, try activating using the automated phone method. (See How to Activate Windows 10 for more info.)

If that fails, try steps 8-11 and try again.

If this still doesn't work then you'll need to contact MS Customer Support and convince them that you have a valid retail licence of an eligible Windows version available.

Note: I haven't tried it with W10 yet but - in my experience of earlier versions of Windows - a full system image created using Windows' built-in tools is 'hardware intolerant' when used to restore to a dissimilar device... so don't be surprised if a restore to 'N' results in a BSOD. IMO you really need an imaging solution with 'bare metal' capabilities.

Note also that you can't swap from product type (Home to Pro or vice versa) nor 'bitness' (x64 to x32 or vice versa) so make sure you get this right in the beginning... otherwise, if you end up having to phone MS Customer Support, the answer will be a flat no.

Finally, with all the likelihood of problems (BSOD's, driver conflicts, etc.), it's more than possible that just doing first an install on 'N' of the earlier OS (used on 'O') then a subsequent clean install of W10 on 'N' and re-installing the programs you want will end up being faster overall. It will certainly give you a cleaner build... and surely that's what you want on a new device?

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-06-05 at 21:57. Reason: OP posted again before I'd finished very long post

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve1209
    OK, I will buy a Win 10 license X64 home, I am not trying to cheat, now how do I restore my original full disk image onto the new system with the old system image, or I can't? The old system image of course includes the OEM operating system, I can't after I buy a license put that onto my new computer?
    In this case, restore the system image of 'D' to 'N' and, once you've sorted the inevitable problems of restoring to dissimilar hardware (if possible), use the product key from the new W10 x64 Home license.

In this case, activation shouldn't be any problem at all.

Hope this helps...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was running Win10TP (technical preview) on a workstation node. The boot partition on that node was upgraded to the "free" Windows 10 Pro system, and it acquired the SAME license key as the former technical preview system. Being the same computer, I thought nothing of it.

I then upgraded my laptop from Win8.1Pro to Windows 10 Pro, and it also has the SAME license key!

Both systems are activated and functional.

When did Microsoft start re-using license keys? Is they key no longer for the computer but perhaps for the person instead. The two systems that were upgraded had different license keys before.