Lounger
    Thanks

Can't print - print spool service error

I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and was able to print OK from my main printer. I then tried to print from my HiTi 730 photo printer, but got a message that the driver was missing. When I tried to install the driver, I got a message that it wasn't digitally signed so Windows would not install it. So I set Windows to install it even though it wasn't digitally signed.

Then I couldn't print from any of my printers (I have several). When I ran printer diagnostics it said that the print spool service wasn't running, and that it fixed it. But I still couldn't print and got the same print spool service not running message. I restarted the service and tried again. Even though the service app says the print spool service is running, I still get the message that it is not running and nothing prints. I tried this several times, and sometimes it appears that the service is really not running. But restarting it doesn't work either.

So I tried to remove the HiTi printer, but got a message that Windows could not remove it.

Each time now when I check the print spool service, it appears to not be running. Then I restart it. But it apparently isn't running even when it says it is. And I am unable to print anything.

I understand that removing a printer doesn't uninstall the driver, but do I have to uninstall the driver before removing the printer? If so, should I uninstall the HiTi driver, and how do I do that? Would uninstalling it allow the print spool service to work again? I am really lost at this point.

Could someone please help?

Thanks,
    Sheila

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can manually start the print spooler service with a cmd from Command Prompt (Admin) which is net start "Print Spooler" but as for uninstalling, using Win 7, in All Programs I scroll down to the printer folder and expanding that should have its own uninstaller - but in Devices and Printers (your Win 10 equivalent) are you changing the default printer to the one you want to use ?

Lounger
    Thanks
    It wouldn't let me uninstall the driver using Devices and Printers, but I was able to uninstall it from control panel/programs/uninstall. After rebooting, all printers (except the one I uninstalled) work.

The question now is, should I even try to reinstall the HiTi? Or is the problem that the unsigned driver causes all printers to not work? I hate to lose the use of that printer. It is old, but does really nice photo prints.

Thanks,
    Sheila

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    They would seem to have been causing some sort of conflict.

Can you not contact the vendor about their latest drivers they have for the printer ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

sheila_c (2016-06-06)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I will try to contact them.

Thanks for your help!
    Sheila