Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing default font in messages (WIN XP O2k)

I recently installed WIN XP and re-installed Office 2k. Then my C drive died and I rebuilt everything again. I cannot get Office to let me change the default font on out going mail. I use Word, HTML. I have tried to go as many places as I can. i can change it for a message but a new one defaults back to Ariel 10. Is there some thing I am doing wrong?
    Is there an obvious answer like, "you dumbie, why are you using HTML vs Rich text or Plain text?"
    thanks for the help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing default font in messages (WIN XP O2k)

If you have the formatting toolbar enabled when you make a reply, you'll probably find that the style that the text defaults to has your name. Open Word. Select Format|Style and you may well see that Style in the list of Styles in Normal.dot. Select Modify, choose whichever Font and Size your prefer and OK and Apply on your way out. You can then close Word and return to the email that you were writing.

HTH
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. However...I have done that and it does not stick. that is why I am frustrated. it does it for that e-mail but i can't change the default as i would like.
    Could there be some sort of a hard coded entry in the regestry or some such, that does not allow me to fix it? Does running repair for Office have any effect, assuming I am right in my problem?
    regards,

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What I did not make clear is that you have to open Normal.dot in Word. It is located in [root folder]/[Your Username]/Application Data/Microsoft/Templates. I don't have a WinXP machine but the root folder is probably Cocuments and Settings. There you will find the two styles that I mentioned: Personal Compose Style and Personal Reply Style. Normal.dot contains all your default settings for Word and this is used by Outlook when Word is your email editor.
    Gre