5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Where is Product Key for my laptop

I bought this Toshiba laptop several months ago. It came with Win8 installed and I upgraded it to Win8.1. Now that I'm about to upgrade to Win10 I've been trying to figure out what the Product Key is. I did not receive any discs with the laptop and very little paperwork. It is not recorded on the bottom of the laptop. I bought the laptop at the local Office Depot store.

Hopefully someone will be able to tell me what to do about this situation.

Thanks,
    Bill

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It isn't of much concern actually. The upgrade of Windows 8.1 should result in the automatic activation of Windows 10 (resulting in a "digital entitlement").
    However, because the transition (upgrade process) doesn't necessarily always occur without incident, I'd create an image of your Windows 8.1 hard drive before upgrading.

Your Windows 8 computer came with its product key encrypted in the BIOS -- it doesn't appear on a label on your computer.
    Last edited by RockE; 2016-06-09 at 01:21. Reason: clarification

Thanks
    If a Product Key label does exist, it would usually be on the underside of the laptop (as you will know!) - or possibly in the battery compartment.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    You could download and install Belarc Advisor (free program). It will give you the product keys of all programs you have installed on the computer.

After running it, print out the results, just in case you need a printed copy later.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I have installed and run the Belarc Advisor and now I know a lot more about my laptop than I intended! Thanks Mr. Jim. That did give me the Product Key for this laptop.

I was concerned that I might need that if something went wrong during the Win10 upgrade. In any case, I have it now, I believe, if it is needed.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
    Bill

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That won't necessarily be your product key as would have been on a COA sticker as Belarc only lists the vendor's generic key in a 5x5 format and from experience will not genuinely activate a Win 7 repair install when using a created bootable ISO - the same usually applies to other OEM machines.

Belarc gave the same vendor key for both of my Toshiba Win 7 laptops, but the COA sticker keys were different.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have seen an OEM Windows 8.1 laptop with a label. I have not seen an OEM Windows 8 laptop with a label, yet. Others' experiences may differ from mine.
    ...just saying.

RockE

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There was and is no product key label on the bottom of my laptop and none was supplied in some other way when I bought the laptop. I have looked up the receipt for the laptop and it shows that I bought it at the local Office Depot store last July (much longer than I thought!). The note in the Belarc file about replacing an OEM key with the correct one was about Win7 and in the suggested procedure it instructed to use the one that came separately, which did not happen in my case. So, if I don't have the right key then it is simply not available.

Thanks,
    Bill

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bill, NeoSmart seems to have a tool for reading the key stored in CMOS memory (i.e., your "BIOS"). I haven't tested it, yet.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta..._key_tool.html

The above link provides a description of the program. You can download it from Majorgeeks using the link above, or get it from NeoSmart.

RockE

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RockE. I downloaded it from NeoSmart and ran it and it returned the Product Key. The same key I had obtained yesterday using the Belarc Advisor. So, I'm going to assume that I am all set on that front.

Thanks,
    Bill

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's great!
    At least we know that the Belarc app works like the NeoSmart tool does on your machine. (I couldn't test it earlier because I didn't have a late model computer booted at that time. Now that I do, I did test it, and it apparently works.)

RockE