New Lounger
    Thanks

Icons won't stay put

I have a client with a new Windows 10 desktop computer. (Not upgraded Win 10 installed at builder.)

He complains frequently that a few icons on the desktop don't keep their position. He logs in and has to look for them. Some are associated with commonly used apps (PowerPoint 2016 is one), others with various 3rd party apps, like AutoCAD.

Strange thing is, most of the icons stay where they belong - it's just those few.

I had him delete several of those icons (just shortcuts) and re-create them, but the problem persists.

Has anyone else seen this?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Uncheck Auto arrange icons? (at Desktop, right-click, View)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    First thing I checked. Most of the icons stay where they should - it's just a few icons (say 6 out of about 50 on the desktop) that want to wander around.

Wish I could see a pattern to it: are they always shifting to the same place? is there a series of steps that consistently cause them to shift around? are they coincidentally icons (shortcuts) that have recently been used?

Not getting much specific info - user is busy, just wants it fixed.

I was in there looking at it the other day, and another user says he has the same issue. (I was under the impression it was just the one user.) Both users have identical, new systems, with Windows 10 installed when they were built (not an upgrade).

I found an article suggesting that I disable "Align icons to grid", but that didn't help.

Another article dealt with deleting the icon cache, suggesting that the cache can get corrupted and all kinds of unexpected behaviour can result. Tried that on one of the computers, but the user hasn't come back from vacation so I can't assume (yet) that it worked or not.

Could be anything really - video adaptor (it's a fancy NVIDIA K2200 card), driver, or a piece of software with non-standard hooks into Windows Explorer. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear from you.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do those programs alter screen resolution (even temporarily) when they run?

You may want to try a third party solution. One is called DesktopOK 4.35 which I'm running (tried it after reading your post). Seems to work as advertised. It's free and it doesn't have to be installed (it's portable). [It opened in German instead of English, so I had to click the German flag in the lower left corner to select English.]

I downloaded it from a source I trust to vet software:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/desktopok.html

Or, you can read about it at the author's website:
    http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/DesktopOK