Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    File Explorer shuts down suddenly

    New computer with Win 10 - not an upgrade.

    Several new Win 10 computer users all have same complaint: File Explorer shuts down at random times, with no warnings error messages, etc.

    There are some older AutoCAD products installed on them, but I have no way of knowing if there's a link to their installation or use.

    Anyone else seen this, or have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

  2. #2
    3 Star Lounger djohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Delaware City, Delaware
    Posts
    323
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    I have done extensive testing with older Autocad products. I don't think anything before 2014 works. Autocad is a PITA. All they want you to do is buy new software. They do not offer patches or anything else for their products. Two months before Windows 8 was released they came out with a product which was incompatible, when they had every opportunity to get the right code. I do not know if these Autocad products have anything to do with your File Explorer problem, but they might. Try running an sfc /scannow in a command prompt as administrator. That might work for you.

  3. #3
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    I have done extensive testing with older Autocad products. I don't think anything before 2014 works. Autocad is a PITA. All they want you to do is buy new software. They do not offer patches or anything else for their products. Two months before Windows 8 was released they came out with a product which was incompatible, when they had every opportunity to get the right code. I do not know if these Autocad products have anything to do with your File Explorer problem, but they might. Try running an sfc /scannow in a command prompt as administrator. That might work for you.

    Thanks - I agree that AutoCAD is a pain to support. Service/support agreements are crazy-expensive, and they just tell you it's Windows or something else when you call for help. Or tell you the version is no longer supported! and try to sell you the latest version for a lot of $$.

    However, when supporting a client's network, you need to be able to prove that the issue is related to an old software product before you can defer a problem like this. I need to figure out how to do that.

    I have already told them that ACAD 2014 wasn't even officially supported with Win7, even though it worked. Trouble is, when they have 20 designers using it, they can't go out and upgrade it without at least trying to "make it work". <Sigh!>

  4. #4
    Silver Lounger RolandJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin metro area TX USA
    Posts
    1,730
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 128 Times in 125 Posts
    "..However, when supporting a client's network, you need to be able to prove that the issue is related to an old software product before you can defer a problem like this. I need to figure out how to do that..."
    When other programs, 3rd party or within-Windows, are opened on a daily basis, what is the normal, daily, behavior of File Explorer? If FE only fails often during AutoCAD, that might narrow it down some, and might not. Sometimes security and/or monitoring programs interfere with block-busters - which can lead to FE sudden-closedown.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

  5. #5
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    "..However, when supporting a client's network, you need to be able to prove that the issue is related to an old software product before you can defer a problem like this. I need to figure out how to do that..."
    When other programs, 3rd party or within-Windows, are opened on a daily basis, what is the normal, daily, behavior of File Explorer? If FE only fails often during AutoCAD, that might narrow it down some, and might not. Sometimes security and/or monitoring programs interfere with block-busters - which can lead to FE sudden-closedown.
    Yes, but that's like asking an accounting to stop using Excel for a while - never happens. Good advice, but sometimes not practical. I am curious however about this term you used "block-busters" - is that some sort of AutoCAD feature?

    Thanks for all replies - the perspective of others is proving helpful...

  6. #6
    Silver Lounger RolandJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin metro area TX USA
    Posts
    1,730
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 128 Times in 125 Posts
    rpelletier, by "block-busters" - I was meaning industry giants such as AutoCAD.
    I never said to stop using AutoCAD, where did you read that? Lettuce try this again:
    When other programs, 3rd party or within-Windows, are opened on a daily basis, what is the normal, daily, behavior of File Explorer?
    I did not post to stop using AutoCAD, I posted asking what happens when other programs are opened?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

  7. #7
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    rpelletier, by "block-busters" - I was meaning industry giants such as AutoCAD.
    I never said to stop using AutoCAD, where did you read that? Lettuce try this again:
    When other programs, 3rd party or within-Windows, are opened on a daily basis, what is the normal, daily, behavior of File Explorer?
    I did not post to stop using AutoCAD, I posted asking what happens when other programs are opened?
    Sorry if I didn't make myself clear - yes, I understood your suggestion, and it was sensible. What I meant was, asking the users a question like "How is it when AutoCAD isn't in use?" would provide no information, as AutoCAD is always in use.

    The problem is intermittent enough that I'm not sure how to test it, with or without ACAD. However, as I said, your question makes perfect sense.

    Luckily, one of the users is away a couple of days next week, so I can play with it a bit...

    Thanks - I will provide updates if/when I learn more, so as to benefit others if I figure it out.

  8. #8
    Silver Lounger RolandJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin metro area TX USA
    Posts
    1,730
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 128 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rpelletier View Post
    ...Luckily, one of the users is away a couple of days next week, so I can play with it a bit...
    Ahhh, excellent! If you get a chance, find out what is background-running in general; and if security real time protection shields and/or background info-gathering monitoring programs might be a little too assertively set. We might get some answers, thanks to your smart/hard-work!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •