New Lounger
    Thanks

Skype's sound recording is dead after installing W10

Happened to me in two different laptops, (Dell and Lenovo) with two different OE. (Vista and W8). In both of them Skype was running correctly. After upgrading to W10 one in December the other in May, both have experienced the same problem: The recording microphone does not record any sounds. Anybody can think of a solution?. I am in the process of converting a 3rd laptop and if it happens again I shall be left without Skype.
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are all of your drivers updated to accommodate Win 10 ?

I've come across where there has been a driver conflict with the LAN adapter driver and audio and the LAN needed to be reinstalled or disabled before audio would work in Win 10.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For audio/video problems like this I particularly like the DirectX tools. There's a dynamite little testing tool under Help | About, in the DirectX 12 setup program. It gives you immediate and most helpful feedback on your mics, speakers and camera.

By doing this you can separate microphone problems from Skype problems.

There's a simpler microphone testing tool under Control Panel | Sound | Recording. However it really is rather simplistic.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Are all of your drivers updated to accommodate Win 10 ?

I've come across where there has been a driver conflict with the LAN adapter driver and audio and the LAN needed to be reinstalled or disabled before audio would work in Win 10.
    Thanks for your help
    Sorry but I am not too technical and I am lost by your suggestion to check LAN adapter driver. To me LAN makes me think only of a local area network and the laptops I refer to are neither connected between themselves nor connected to any local area network. I don't really know what to check or how to check it

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The LAN driver is still loaded even not when in use.

Go into Device Manager - expand Network adapters - right click on the Ethernet adapter and select Disable and then see if you get back the sound.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    For audio/video problems like this I particularly like the DirectX tools. There's a dynamite little testing tool under Help | About, in the DirectX 12 setup program. It gives you immediate and most helpful feedback on your mics, speakers and camera.

By doing this you can separate microphone problems from Skype problems.

There's a simpler microphone testing tool under Control Panel | Sound | Recording. However it really is rather simplistic.
    Thank you.
    As a matter of fact my Lenovo W10 in Control Panel-> Hardware and Sound Display has also an entry for Realtek HD Audiomanager. It allows the possibility of setting volumes both for loudspeakers and microphone, but it does not give any diagnostic about something working or not and how to fix it.
    There is an information menu that shows that this is
    Direct X version: DirectX 12.0
    Audio Driver Version: 6.0.1.7614
    Audio Controller: HD Audio
    Audio Codec: ALC3202
    Language: Auto

W10 Control panel Information about the microphone recording performance indicates that the device is performing correctly.

Is my information useful for you?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    The LAN driver is still loaded even not when in use.

Go into Device Manager - expand Network adapters - right click on the Ethernet adapter and select Disable and then see if you get back the sound.
    Thanks,
    I have done this but the only Network adapters listed are:
    2 Bluetooth devices and one Intel Gigabit 82579 Network connection and one Intel Centrino Ultimate N6300 AGN.
    Any of them is a Ethernet adapter?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The Gigabit one is your LAN.

Do you use your Bluetooth adapters as they have been known to cause problems, but more in the way of connectivity.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Direct X version: DirectX 12.0
    These values are expected. They would only be remarkable if they were significantly/unexpectedly different.

What I really want to know is, does the microphone work with any non-Skype program?

If the problem appears with Skype but the mic works with other programs, then Skype specifically is the issue. If the mic doesn't work with any program, then the problem is either a hardware or a driver issue. And since I understand from you that the mic worked before the Windows 10 upgrade, then we can safely rule out hardware as the root cause.