Thanks

Unhappy Stop Windows from scanning my drives

Times have changed - I have always used Western Digital hard drives because they have never failed me in the past, but sadly I can no longer make that claim.
    Last year I lost the drive that contained all my music, along with various other directories with old information I can't remember - I became complacent over the years because of WD's reliability and fell out of the habit of doing regular backups (that, and the fact that on the few occasions I went to use the credit card to buy backup software, my wife had beaten me to the punch and the card was essentially maxed out.
    So - QUESTION 1: recommendations for the best backup software for Windows 7 Pro.

But my primary reason for coming here today is QUESTION 2: I recently noticed that another one of my hard drives has headed down that road - it no longer registers capacity in My Computer, and isn't listed as a 'new volume' - only as a 'local disk'. When I try to open it to check on the data, I (eventually) get an I/O error and that is that. But last night, for some reason, the data was available, so I made an attempt to copy it over to another drive - but every time I went to move a directory, Windows scanned the drive, and that took between 10 and 15 minutes each time - and time is of the essence with this drive if I want to get the data moved before it gives up the final ghost.
    How do I disable that function where Windows scans the drive every time I click on a directory? I've tried disabling Autoplay, but that has had no effect. the drive isn't available at the moment, but if its status changes, like it did last night, I want to be able to move fast to retrieve any data I can.
    Have a cookie -

Don

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Q1. Any of the free products we suggest here, and Aomei Backupper - which has the most features in its free version. Once you find one you like, it's worth paying for it and getting support and additional features, IMO.

Q2. I use CrystalDiskInfo (free) to monitor my disks, others use HD Sentinel (maybe free).

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don, what do you mean by "Windows scanned the drive..."?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Graham -

Well, when I go to Start ... Computer, I get the following window:

412590754.jpg

As you can see, the bar at the top (at a loss for the "official" name) is partially gray - I tend to call it the progress bar. That, I've always assumed, indicates that Windows is using autoplay or autoscan to update its awareness of what's on the computer. it does that every time I open this window, and because the F drive (you can see from the screen cap there's a problem with it) is being problematic, the scan takes a long time to complete, whereas in the past it wasn't even noticeable.
    I love your quote, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Q1. Any of the free products we suggest here, and Aomei Backupper - which has the most features in its free version. Once you find one you like, it's worth paying for it and getting support and additional features, IMO.

Q2. I use CrystalDiskInfo (free) to monitor my disks, others use HD Sentinel (maybe free).

cheers, Paul
    I used to use PerfectDisk for hard drive maintenance, but as with any software the updates eventually need to be purchased, so I let it slide several years ago, meaning to get it up-to-date but never getting around to it. There's also the software that WD includes with their retail drives - but again, since I usually get them OEM, my most recent version of that is several years old as well. So thank you for the suggestions!

What I'll do is crack open the case and remove the faulty F drive before it grinds itself to a final halt, and hopefully I can eventually get it to register via a usb dock. I think I was able to get the key information off of it, but since my data is all over the place I can never be sure. Data consolidation - another perpetual to-do that never gets done.
    Last edited by djmoore; 2016-06-13 at 08:44.
    Have a cookie -

Don

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hard drives are fairly reliable and to have a second one go down in a relatively short time makes me wonder if it might be something other than the drive. A bad controller can corrupt the data, for one thing. How old is the computer itself?

As to backups, you can get a 2TB external drive from Seagate or WD for under $100 and they come with free backup software. Or, something like Macrium Reflect Free will handle most people backup requirements. That's cheap insurance.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    It's a homemade rig; I have been wondering about various components for well over a year since it's been not quite troublesome, but 'quirky'. I myself am a magnet for non-mainstream issues, so it doesn't surprise me in the long run, but here's a rundown:

Motherboard - until I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 around 2014 sometime, I had the same (Asus) motherboard, but it was definitely starting to have issues - so I tried an MSI board someone had recommended (on a hardware forum site) which meant a new cpu as well. That board worked fine for about a year until something burned out, but it was still under warranty so I sent it in. Not sure how long it would take, I replaced it with an Asus board again, but ran into a problem in that this particular board isn't designed to recognize Windows XP, and since I only have a Windows 7 upgrade disk, I have to install XP first, which is not possible with this board. So I resorted to using my wife's Dell Windows 7 CD, which works - but for some reason my MS Office DVD won't install (claims the product key is invalid, but I have used it for years).
    The MSI board came back, but since I've been sick since September and haven't been able to do the careful sort of work required of replacing a board, it's been waiting for a while now.
    My wife gave me a new PSU for Christmas (I don't remember asking for one, but that isn't something she would just get on her own, so I must have) so if the psu (the one in there was a refurbished deal) is causing issues, that would be taken care of.
    The actual case is about 10 years old; I recently started to wonder if the wiring might be wearing down, so an affordable case replacement is being considered. The memory appears to be ok, which is one less thing to worry about. The video card is ok as well.

==============================

At one time, years ago, I purchased data recovery software (on floppies) which worked quite well - finding something similar is another item on my to-do list. Which is about a mile long at this point ...
    Last edited by djmoore; 2016-06-13 at 10:07.
    Have a cookie -

Don

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djmoore View Post
    when I go to Start ... Computer, I get the following window
    If you remove the USB disk does Windows Explorer show properly?

Run the portable version of CrystalDiskInfo Standard, unzip it and run it on your machine. That will tell you what the disk thinks its status is.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    If you remove the USB disk does Windows Explorer show properly?

Run the portable version of CrystalDiskInfo Standard, unzip it and run it on your machine. That will tell you what the disk thinks its status is.

cheers, Paul
    Local Disk F: is the problem - not the USB drive (I should have cropped that out of the picture to avoid confusion). The USB drive is just a slot on my multi-function printer - I never use it, and I would love to be able to prevent it from scanning as well, but that is a minor annoyance I can live with for now.

Local Disk F: is an internal 3.5" drive like the others that until recently also displayed information about space available, etc., but now is inaccessible and provides the following popup when I select it:

IO device error drive F.jpg
    Have a cookie -

Don

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Download the disk manufacturers disk checking program and run it against that disk. It should give you an indication of the disks health.
    Do you have another machine you can put the disk in to eliminate the controller / cable?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I have a Rosewill USB docking station.
    Have a cookie -

Don

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Best guess, Windows is only trying to read the volume and directory structure of that drive. And it's not working.

It's a roll of the dice and you'll have to decide how much time to invest in trying to get the thing to work. Which means you need to know approximately how valuable the drive data is to you.

One thing you might try. SpinRite from Gibson Research is a long-standing name in drive recovery. I've used their products (though not recently) and been quite impressed. A SpinRite run can take a long time, fair warning.

Gibson Research

This is a purchased product, there is no free version.