3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Repair unstable upgraded Windows 10

I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 at the end of March, but it has become progressively more and more unstable, with frequent crashes and slow loading of programs. I have tried all the usual things to cure the problem but without success. I tried to make a recovery flash drive (Control Panel Recovery) but have the message to the effect that it is unable to complete because of a problem, the flash drive is not recognised; I have tried five flash drives of various makes, all with the same result; I also used my earliest restore point, which only gave a small improvement.

I am considering two alternatives, the first to use a Macrium Reflect image made shortly after upgrading and the other is to use the built in “Settings/Reset this PC”, the description being “If your PC isn’t running well resetting it might help. This lets you chose to keep your files or remove them, and then re-installs Windows”. With the latter I will need to re-install some thirty programs but my data will be untouched, whereas with the former I will need to update all my data files but retain the programs. It is possible that the corruption took place during the upgrade, thus restoring an image might not give long term stability, but with the “Reset” option, where does the Windows program come from, is it from files already on the computer or is it a new download with the process being like the upgrade from 7 to 10, but with all programs being lost. I have copied what I believe to be all of my data files but cannot find my Thunderbird emails, the path used by Windows 7 is no longer correct. Any comments please?.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Even if you can't create a recovery drive, you may be able to recover your system (and you can always reinstall it).
    See this Microsoft page: windows-10-recovery-options
    Scroll down and click on "Use installation media to restore or reset your PC", for instance.

Maybe that will help you to a more stable experience. I'm biased in this regard, I've used the Media Creation Tool to make a flash drive with the latest Windows 10 installation files and it has gotten me out of several perdicaments.

Good luck!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - I notice that a similar problem was posted the same day and will wait to see how that develops - otherwise I will use the image made just after I upgraded and if there are still problems will try the "reset your PC" solution. Hopefully I will be able to create the flash drive recovery file eventually for future use.

Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    Even if you can't create a recovery drive, you may be able to recover your system (and you can always reinstall it).
    See this Microsoft page: windows-10-recovery-options
    Scroll down and click on "Use installation media to restore or reset your PC", for instance.

Maybe that will help you to a more stable experience. I'm biased in this regard, I've used the Media Creation Tool to make a flash drive with the latest Windows 10 installation files and it has gotten me out of several perdicaments.

Good luck!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually Mike, I didn't mean to suggest that you do a "reset". Follow the link and read what is said there.
    Here are two, perhaps more thorough, presentations of what I'm suggesting (a Windows 10 repair install or Windows 10 in-place upgrade):
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...e-upgrade.html
    https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10...-installation/

RockE

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-06-12)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have created a Windows 10 disk image file as directed - it has the file name Windows.iso and is 3.41 GB. I burnt it to a DVD and then tried to do a reinstallation/in place upgrade/repair install. When I double click on the DVD file I am asked how I want to open it - what app, if I right click and select mount I get the message “Virtual hard disks can’t be mounted from image files or from removable media that isn’t formatted with the NTFS system”. The iso file had been saved to the desktop and I then burned it to the DVD. I have made a Macrium image of my PC and verified it in case the re-installation goes wrong and I can at least get back to how my computer is now. How do I proceed and what have I done wrong.

Thanks
    How did you burn the Windows image?

This is how it should have been done...

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../dd451080.aspx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-06-12)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had burned the image exactly as stated - right click the iSO file and selected burn image. I have tried again but this time I used Ashampoo Burning Studio 2015 - burn image. I have right clicked the new disk image and selected install or run program from your media and the process started. I aborted as I do not have time to complete the process tonight but will hopefully succeed tomorrow. Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After a couple of hours of re-install/repair my computer seems to be exactly the same as before , but now hopefully free of problems. Thank you so much for holding my hand – I have been operating beyond my level of incompetence (88).

Thanks
    Fingers crossed that you are now free of problems.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-06-13)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm with Browni, let's hope the instability has been corrected.
    I've rarely had to do a Windows 10 repair install more than once on a single computer. (In most cases, by the time I thought a system was unstable, a new build of Windows 10 came down the pike and resolved the problem.)