Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Group

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Home Group

Could someone please tell me, step by step, how to set up a HomeGroup, or, preferably, the simpler way to share items between my Laptop and Desktop computers, both running Win 7 with SP1, and both being 64 bit.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    How familiar are you with left-side menu of explorer.exe? Opening explorer via its icon, have you already went to Tools --> Folder Options --> Navigation Pane; did you check those two choices in there? And under View Tab, the list of several choices, have you checked show empty folders, show file extensions,[*] and related items? When I get back home and logged in again, I'll give you the Sharing details.
    Addendum:[*] show full path here, there, yonder
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-06-09 at 20:42.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2016-06-09 at 19:13. Reason: wrong OS

Thanks
    Roy, how are you doing with the Sharing idea?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    RolandJS, I had already dealt with the settings you mentioned.

Jerry, thanks but, having created a HomeGroup on my desktop, when I go to HomeGroup on my Laptop there is no reference to a HomeGroup being detected, so I can't "Join now".

Please advise further.
    Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Roy, my next step was to let you know to Share your folders [and files] using the Sharing clicks from within Explorer.exe's left side menu. However, if you want HomeGroup [because your good stuff is within Libraries / My Documents] -- then, I'll watch this thread and learn how you did it! Last time I tried Homegroup, because it was "married" to Libraries/My Documents and never even touched my d-partition data -- I failed and removed it.

Thanks
    See if anything here helps on the laptop:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...in-a-homegroup

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, thanks but nothing in the link helped. However, I ran the Network Troubleshooter and that said I needed to allow HomeGroup through the Avast Premier anti virus firewall. I added HomeGroup to the firewall exceptions but that didn't work. Maybe I have to use a different form of words. I have asked Avast about this and if they come back with an answer that solves the problem I will let you know.

Regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Roy, what folders on what partition are you wanting to share amongst your computers? Reason for asking:
    -- if all your data is within Libraries/My Documents, Homegroup may be a way to go
    -- if all your data is on D partition, "d drive," then Homegroup is not going to work [I tried that before & failed]
    -- if all your data is on C partition, "c drive," in folders you created with Explorer,
    then Homegroup probably is not going to work [I tried that before & failed]
    All three computers over here read/write/copy/move amongst the respective d-partitions "d drives." I did that by clicking several choices within Network/Sharing, prepping Explorer's "left-side" menu, finally Sharing the desired folders via Explorer's Sharing panel.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-06-11 at 11:31.

Thanks
    Try temporarily disabling the Avast firewall to see if its really the problem. I gave up on third party firewalls long ago as they caused more trouble than they were worth to me. I find the Windows firewall along with the router firewall sufficient. YMMV.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, thanks but disabling the Avast Firewall made no difference.

My desktop shows that the computer belongs to a HomeGroup, but the laptop says there is currently no HomeGroup on the network.

I will try the alternative method of sharing between the 2 computers, and will report back when I have done so.

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    You could also try a clean boot.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, the clean boot made no difference.

I followed the procedure shown in the attachment regarding sharing files and folders in Windows 7 without using HomeGroup. On my laptop when I ran \\royw-PC (the name of my Desktop) Network showed ROYW-PC which led to Users but the Laptop Users folder, not the Desktop Users folder, and the items on my Desktop which I had configured to share did not show up.

My desktop computer name is royw-PC, and my laptop computer name is RoyW-PC. Would it make any difference if I changed the desktop name to RoyW-PC?

How to share folders in Windows 7 WITHOUT HomeGroup (2013_06_13 14_56_53 UTC).pdf

Please advise.

Thanks, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    ...My desktop computer name is royw-PC, and my laptop computer name is RoyW-PC. Would it make any difference if I changed the desktop name to RoyW-PC?...
    No.

In workgroup/homegroup environments "computer name" is case-insensitive, so your "royw-PC" and "RoyW-PC" computer names will conflict and prevent connectivity between those computers.

Change the name of one of the computers to avoid the conflict, e.g.: change the laptop's "computer name" to "RoyW-LT" instead of "RoyW-PC".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

royw (2016-06-16)

Thanks
    +1 to Coochi's post. I was going to make the same suggestion.

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast