New Lounger
    Thanks

Changing my system to 64 bit before downloading Windows 10.

At present my main desktop is Windows 8, the 32 bit version, but before I accept Microsofts free offer of Windows 10, I want to update to 64 bit.
    As I am confused about what is involved, can members here tell me the easiest way to change to 64 bit, with the least upheaval to my computer. Somewhere I read that you don't need to reinstall Windows totally in order to do this - is this true,or will I have to buy a copy of Windows 8 and do a full installation?
    Any help would be gratefully received, and please consider throwing a drowning man a line!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You must do a complete clean reinstall of Windows to change from 32-to-64 or vice versa.

Be sure to backup your system before you start this process so all your data is backedup. Be sure that you have the install packages for all your software on an external drive or separate partition on your internal drive.
    Joe

Thanks
    +1 to what Joe said. The How To Geek has the following instructions for converting from 32 bit to 64 bit:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/228042/how-...it-windows-10/

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jon hawk
    +2 with respect to what both Jerry and Joe said.
    Note that your initial free upgrade needs to be performed while your 32-bit version of Windows 8.1 is installed (this gets your free activation on Microsoft's servers).
    Then you do a "clean install" of the 64-bit version of Windows 10 (ignoring the prompts for a key). After the installation of Windows 10 64-bit your computer will connect (again) to Microsoft and it will activate automatically.

Thanks
    I agree with you, 64 bit is better, with one possible exception: backward compatibility. This means that there is a slight possibility that some of your peripherals (e.g. an old printer or a device which connects to your computer) might now work, because there is no 64-bit driver for them.

I also knew of a case where someone needed to have 32-bit Windows 7 in order to access a Dropbox group; 64-bit wouldn't have worked.

I would say that the possibility of this is slight, but you need to be aware of it.

However, your 32-bit software (e.g. Microsoft Office) should work without issue in 64-bit Windows.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-06-11 at 10:18.

Thanks
    Of course, your hardware [CPU] must be 64-bit.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks to you all for the information, even if it means that I have to do the full installation, and particular thanks to RockE for mentioning that my 32 bit system should be upgraded to 10 before altering it to 64 bit.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @jon hawk
    No thanks needed, you'd have figured that out when reading the "howtogeek" article (post #3).

RockE