Star Lounger
    Thanks

37 failed WU on my Asus UL30A

Asus UL30A Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1

21 of these FAILED updates were the 4/1/2016 WUs (total of 33 for that date)

One failure was 3/16/2016.

The 5/19/2016 updates ALL FAILED! 15 of them. And now I can no longer receive any WUs

I have this error message on screen. I do NOT wish to upgrade to Win10 at this time so I have not clicked on this.
    Could this be the cause of my troubles? If so, how do I get around it? I may wish to go to Windows 10 at a later date, just not right now.

Failed WUs.JPG
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

Thanks
    I suggest that you immediately install the GWX Control Panel on your computer, and that you click the buttons to clean out all of the stuff pertaining to Windows 10 that Microsoft has already download to your computer. Set it to block OS upgrades, but allow regular upgrades, and set it to Monitor mode. Finally, check for updates to GWX Control Panel about once a month.

Lots of people have been having issues with W7 updates not downloading and installing. A lot of good info about how to fix this is found at www.askwoody.com.

Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

BarbieGee (2016-06-11)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows Updates is also very slow since they rolled Windows 10 out.
    Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe S For This Useful Post:

BarbieGee (2016-06-11)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Mrjimphelps and Joe S. I have knuckled under and downloaded and installed GWX control panel for my Asus. It is now running and "Checking for updates" are being run as I type this message.
    The old error message is gone.
    Thanks again!

~Barbie~
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is strange. Windows Updates is indicating there was NEVER any updates installed. ??????

check updates.JPG

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The CHECK UPDATES has been running for more then 3 hours and continues to run. ??????

Thanks
    This is strange. Windows Updates is indicating there was NEVER any updates installed. ??????
    That's probably because W10 was in the process of installation when you caught it and had already wiped out the WU history for W7.
    The CHECK UPDATES has been running for more then 3 hours and continues to run. ??????
    Welcome to the new world of updating W7.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbieGee View Post
    One of the options provided in GWX Control Panel will clear out those records. Perhaps you clicked on it?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    One of the options provided in GWX Control Panel will clear out those records. Perhaps you clicked on it?
    Yes, I did click on that.

Joe S indicated that WU is very slow but 4 hours and still no updates?

I have rebooted and am trying again.

Perhaps I should run the Windows Update Reset?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbieGee View Post
    Yes, I did click on that.

Joe S indicated that WU is very slow but 4 hours and still no updates?

I have rebooted and am trying again.

Perhaps I should run the Windows Update Reset?
    Unfortunately, the Lounge has been buzzing with complaints about the slowness of Windows Update on Windows 7 computers (seemingly never).
    In trying to address that problem for clients I've simply resorted to changing their power settings to "never" shut off the hard drive and never sleep/hibernate, then I've started Windows Update and left it running. (In a couple of cases, it has taken more than three days!).
    Curiously, I've had no update issues with my Windows 10 computers.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    Unfortunately, the Lounge has been buzzing with complaints about the slowness of Windows Update on Windows 7 computers (seemingly never).
    In trying to address that problem for clients I've simply resorted to changing their power settings to "never" shut off the hard drive and never sleep/hibernate, then I've started Windows Update and left it running. (In a couple of cases, it has taken more than three days!).
    Curiously, I've had no update issues with my Windows 10 computers.
    Is this then a function of MS and a deliberate slowdown to other O/S?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That, I do not know.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My W8 machine still updates at "normal" speed and I've had GWX CP on it for ages, but I don't hang around waiting for it.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    My W8 machine still updates at "normal" speed and I've had GWX CP on it for ages, but I don't hang around waiting for it.

cheers, Paul
    My other laptop, a Toshiba Satellite A505 Win7, also updates normally and it too has the GWX control panel installed. It is this Asus, which I reformated and reinstalled Win 7 (it was a German machine with the O/S in German - I wished it to be in English) that is giving me all this trouble. It took some time to receive all the updates and the installation of the Service Pack (This was done 2 years ago before this slowdown began). It is just in these last few months that I have experienced many failed updates and now this slowdown.
    It puzzles me and I had wondered if these issues were happening because this machine is a German based machine?
    I will try once again to allow this machine to run and attempt to install the missing updates.
    Frustrating.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think for the most part as far as Win 7 is concerned, it has proven to be a waiting game and I'm currently in the queue on one machine that has just been factory reset.