Thread: JAVA Problem

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

JAVA Problem

OK, I hate Hate HATE!! JAVA!! Whew! That being said, I DO like to play games on POGO, some of which unfortunately require the latest version of JAVA to run.

I'm running W7 Home Premium 64 bit on a Compaq Presario.

When I install the latest JAVA version (8U91), I get a red X on my action center flag in the task bar. When I go there, it tells me that I don't have any virus protection running and do I want to activate my McAfee security suite (full, normally paid for version that's supplied for free by my ISP (at&t)). I click yes, but nothing happens.

When I click the little McAfee shield in the task bar, McAfee assures me that every part of it is running and everything is fine. I don't know which one to believe.

Anyone have this type of problem with JAVA?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While I could expect McAfee to block Java or any other download - Java taking out an AV is a new one.

Is there anything in McAfee's control panel that would allow Java so there won't be a conflict ?

Not a McAfee user - much prefer Norton Security but when you get something for nothing.....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nope, don't see anything referring to JAVA on the McAfee page. Attached is what I get when checking McAfees security center. As you can see, McAfee thinks that all features are turned on.

I'm running an older version of JAVA which doesn't give any problems, it's only when I install the latest version that the problem occurs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by shadow35; 2016-06-11 at 16:18.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I thought you may have had a few more settings than that to whitelist software.

Running an older version of Java has its own risks because it was targeted for exploits.

See if you get the same alert after updating Java in Safe Mode with Networking and the reboot back to normal boot up.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try and let you know what happens.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for taking so long to reply, been sick. I tried your suggestion, unfortunately JAVA would not even try to install in safe mode, it immediately went to the error screen. I noticed in another post a comment that cryptoprevent could cause problems with certain installs. Could that be causing a problem with JAVA?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear that you've been sick and hope you are well now.

It's quite possible that Cryptoprevent could be causing you problems.

I used to have it installed a while ago but when it started blocking Control Panel commands, I decided it was time for it to go - it was as if it was taking over my laptop.

However, I believe it has a White Listing facility, but not sure how you use it.

If you suspect a program is causing problems then uninstall it to see if they go away and if you can get by without a given program (I did) then leave it off.

Sometimes there can be difficulty in removing CP.

AdwCleaner may see it as a PuP and remove it but after uninstalling it from Programs and Features, run FreeFixer which can find files otherwise difficult to find, but allows you to easily remove them.

As an example, McAfee comes preinstalled on this laptop and after using MCPR.exe to remove it, FreeFixer had two files still listed for it with removal boxes next to them.

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewd.../1-adwcleaner/

http://www.freefixer.com/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

shadow35 (2016-06-28)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks Sudo, I'll try removing CP and then try installing the newest JAVA again. I've also downloaded the two cleaners you recommended and will use them to get rid of CP.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Let us know how you get on.

BTW - I tried installing Java in Safe Mode with Networking and it installed fine.

I don't think CP would be loaded in that mode, so don't know why you should you still get that error when trying the install in Safe Mode etc.

If you still have problems after CP is uninstalled, check Event Viewer for any time stamped errors for when you tried to install Java.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

shadow35 (2016-06-28)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oooookkkkaaayyy...... that was weird... LOL. I removed CP and went to the java site, told it to upgrade me to the latest version. It told me that java 8 needed a newer version of windows to fully operate (???) and then went ahead and tried to install version 8_91. I got the same notice that it didn't finish installing. Went back to the java site and told it to check my java, it says "congratulations you have the latest version (8_91) installed." Went to POGO where I needed the latest java to play some of the games and guess what? they all worked just fine! I'm not getting the problem with Macafee that I was having and everything seems to be working ok. I really don't understand what's going on, but as long as things work I'm not going to argue with it - LOL. Apparently CP WAS having something to do with the problems, so I'm going to leave it uninstalled.

Many many thanks for the information Sudo, you're the best.
    Last edited by shadow35; 2016-06-28 at 12:48.