2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

keyboard changes when entering into input boxes

Something has started happening recently that puzzles me. My keyboard can be working normally within applications, but sometimes (only sometimes) when I try to input into a form, say a comment on Twitter or a field asking for my email address, non-alphabetic characters don`t work. Instead of a or ! or `I get a French character or wrong punctuation mark. (Hey, it happened here with the instead of a question mark.) I have to enter using codes like Alt-63.

I don`t think it`s exactly my keyboard that`s the problem, because it also sometimes happens at work. My home computer is Windows 7, as is my computer at work. Can I blame the OS?

I can get by with Alt codes or an on-screen keyboard, but it`s annoying, and I`m curious about what`s going on.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe I can shed some light on this. I have often had the same thing happen to me and it took me a long time to track it down.

Do you have multiple input keyboards set up on your machine? And do you use [Alt-Tab] to switch tasks? In my case the answer is Yes, and I believe this set the stage for this to happen.

You see, there's a little-known keyboard shortcut to switch input keyboards. It is [Alt-Shift]. If you are at all clumsy with the [Alt-Tab] I believe it is possible to hit [Alt-Shift] instead. Do so and you've just switched from your US keyboard to the International keyboard (or whatever alternate keyboard you have installed).

Note that the [Alt-Shift] has to be performed with the left Alt key. However that's going to be the most common move for a right handed person. Check it out; this might just explain what's going on for you.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip. It could very well be the solution. I don't know really if I have multiple input keyboards on my machine, but I use Alt-Tab all the time, and my typing would definitely qualify as clumsy. Next time it happens I'll see if Alt-Shift solves it.

Thinking of Fort McMurray.