2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"Speakers unplugged" after Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7

I allowed Microsoft to upgrade my Dell Pavilion dm1 laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I now have no sound output. My speaker icon has a red cross at the bottom of it, and when I hover the mouse over it, it says "no speakers or headphones are plugged in". When I click on "Playback devices", it says AMD High definition device not plugged in. When I go to "Device Manger" and select the High Definition AMD device, it says it is working properly. I have tried updating the driver, and this has made no difference.

Clearly, I did not disconnect the speakers, since these are internal, and the upgrade was purely a software process.(

I would be grateful for any advice about how to fix this.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Normally I would have suggested that you check the manufacturer's website (Dell in this case), but I checked just now...

Is your Pavilion a dm1-3025dx? If so, for Windows 10 the HP website says, "No software or drivers are available for this product with the selected operating system."
    But it also says, "Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update
    Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update."

(So, I'm not much help at the moment.)
    Last edited by RockE; 2016-06-13 at 13:39. Reason: grammar

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here are some ideas:

You might be able to identify the manufacturer of the sound system and check with them for drivers. (Realtek?)

You might try simply locating the failed sound system in Device Manager. Delete the item and reboot so Windows will have to recreate it in Device Manager. That may cure the problem.

On the other hand, some folks who had a similar problem (with earlier builds of Win10) found success with removing their older drivers and allowing Windows10 free reign. For instance read these comments about a similar problem.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-a330fa1b6d3d
    (One person even found his specific solution by changing a BIOS setting.)

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by RockE; 2016-06-13 at 13:44. Reason: grammar

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

epzcaw (2016-06-13)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not Dell. - sorry....................

I had no joy going onto HP website to find drivers. However, the system does actually think it has a driver, but is saying the speakers are unplugged.

I downloaded the HP hardware diagnostics program and ran it to test the sound, and lo and behold, the speakers make a sound and it passed the test. So at this level, the speakers are working.

I did try uninstalling the speaker and re-starting but no joy.

I will go the Microsoft link you suggest and see what happens.

PS. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by epzcaw; 2016-06-13 at 15:14. Reason: added thank you

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    None of the suggestions on the Microsoft link worked. I'm stymied!!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by epzcaw View Post
    None of the suggestions on the Microsoft link worked. I'm stymied!!
    Sorry! I was hoping that a "clean boot" would help you.

An alternative idea I found in another thread said: "If reinstalling the driver doesn't work, then try using the generic audio driver that comes with Windows. Here's how: in Device Manager, right-click (or tap and hold) your audio driver > Update driver software... > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, select High Definition Audio Device, select Next, and then follow the rest of the instructions to install it."

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've done that. No luck!

I suspect the problem is that there is not a driver for Windows 10, as you said already. It is more than a month since I upgraded so can't now roll back.

I don't have any system backups.

When I enter my product code into Microsoft to get media creation tool, it says:

The product key you've entered appears to be for software which was pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

I don't suppose there is any chance of getting the software from HP. So looks as if I am stuck with a laptop without any sound.

I guess I should have checked before upgrading to Windows 7 but time was running out.
    Last edited by epzcaw; 2016-06-14 at 13:20. Reason: Additional information

Thanks
    Some sound system connections are multi function and some how detect what is plugged into them. Just a guess but maybe try to plug in a head phone and test. pull the connector in and out a few times if need be to get a clean connection.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

epzcaw (2016-06-15)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks David. Tried that but nothing!!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Got this from HP support forum and it worked

See if this driver works...Install and restart the PC.

This package contains the driver that enables the IDTHigh-Definition (HD) Audio in supported notebook models that arerunning a supported operating system.

File name: sp63555.exe

Address: http//ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63555.exe

Thought I should add it here in case anyone else has the same problem..

Also thanks to everyone here who tried.
    Last edited by epzcaw; 2016-06-16 at 04:00. Reason: Added website address where file can be found

Thanks
    Glad you got it going and thanks for posting the solution.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.