I apologise if this question has been posted before, but I did a search and couldn't find a similar thread.

I have a Lumia 950 xl phone which uses Windows 10 mobile as its operating system. I deliberately updated my desktop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 so it would be compatible with the phone.

However, when I connect my phone to the computer, it (the phone) can't be seen in File Explorer. Searching the 'net for possible explanations, I found a post on reddit that suggested installing the Windows Phone Recovery Tool and checking and possibly updating the drivers for the phone in the process might solve the problem. The post said "Try uninstalling MTP USB Device under portable devices in device manager prior to installing the recovery tool."

I went to the device manager and noticed an entry for "Generic Phone" under "Other Devices" but no "MTP USB Device" under "Portable Devices". I checked the Properties for the Generic Phone, which warned that the device was not working properly and suggested updating the drivers. So I followed that process, allowing the system to search the web for drivers. New drivers were found and downloaded and the system began to install them. That was over 14 hours ago. They're still installing. Or hung.

If I try to cancel the installation I get dire warnings about not interrupting a driver install (my words, not the actual warning).

So can anyone suggest a solution? I can do other things with the system while this install keeps going in the background, but I can't perform any backup or sync or data transfer operations with my phone. It's very off-putting!

Cheers,

Noel