Lounger
    Thanks

Message "Do you want to leave this page" on clicking link

I 've (very) recently been receiving a message "Are you sure you want to leave this page" when I click on a link, or even sometimes when I close a particular tab completely. I'm not aware of having made any changes to Internet Options or anything else for that matter and it's rather annoying (understatement)

Can anybody give me guidance as to what may have changed - and how to change it back ?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've been getting that lately as well but not all of the time and am as much in the dark as you.

I just confirm and get on with it

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Been having a Google and this also seems to occur in Firefox as well as IE.

In FF it's suggested that it has to do with javascript and disabling that in about:config can sort it.

The only other reference that I've checked out was for IE 9 but this same option is in IE 11 which I'm going to try to see if I get any more of the prompts.

Tools - Internet options - Security tab - Custom level - scroll down to Scripting and for Enable XSS filter, check the Disable button - but it didn't work for all.

Not sure about disabling javascript in IE as that can cause problems.

Thanks
    I'm seeing a lot of this as well Ray so it's not something you've changed.

It seems like the default cancel/leave action in a form now presents this message rather than a more suitable one.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you by any chance use any software that automatically fills in forms? Any time you start to enter any data on a web page, you will likely get this error if you leave.

If you are getting it on pages where you have not entered anything, then it would seem odd to see the message. Can you reproduce this and provide a link to a page where this happens? Others could check and see if it's happening to them.

BTW, what version of Windows and IE (or Edge) are you using?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've had this when changing threads on this forum - not sure if it was after I'd posted though (IE 11).

Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for the replies folks - glad to see I'm not the only one having this problem (incidentally I also get it on here when I try to post a reply to a thread).

Will try Sudo15's suggestion (post #3) and will let you know if it works - tomorrow (22:30 here in the U.K. after a tiring day !)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    ... The only other reference that I've checked out was for IE 9 but this same option is in IE 11 which I'm going to try to see if I get any more of the prompts.

Tools - Internet options - Security tab - Custom level - scroll down to Scripting and for Enable XSS filter, check the Disable button - but it didn't work for all ...

Well, tried that and it seems to have worked, so many thanks.

Ray

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Come to think of it, I haven't seen that message since either.