3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Odd results with msinfo32

Win 8.1 Pro x64. Tracey Capen's discussion of msinfo32 in the current newsletter reminds me of something that left me puzzled. Some weeks ago, toward solving a software issue, a company asked me to run MSInfo32 and send the results. Something I noticed in the Windows Error Reporting results at the time, and in a couple of runs since then, is that not only did it show errors when my computer was off but also some hours into the future, i.e., hours ahead! Curious, I asked at Microsoft Answers, but as so often happens there, their reply didn't speak to my question. So with the reminder of Tracey's column, I'll try here.

As an example, on June 7 I booted my computer (cold) mid morning and at 10:51 am did a msinfo32 run. Windows and the computer had been shut down roughly around midnight. Attached is a screenshot of the June 7 portion of the Windows Error Reporting page. Note that all the results shown are when the computer was off or for late that coming afternoon, several hours into the future. My question: how does that happen? This is a single desktop computer using Charter cable, with the cable run through a router for other devices (no remote to the desktop). Thanks,

Thanks
    Are the times in UTC rather than local time?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hadn't thought of that. Looks like it - 6 hr difference. But why would msinfo32 use that time when the Windows clock is local? Registry also shows local, no UTC - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\TimeZoneInformation

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    All those dates are UTC internally and just displayed locally by various programs. Remember this is a troubleshooting tool. When the results are used as a troubleshooting tool it is easier for the tool to not have to care about having routines avaiable to interpret the locale of the dates if they are UTC.
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is this documented somewhere? I went through several pages of a search and couldn't find anything. OTOH, Windows Event Viewer results are local time, e.g., Admin Events.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Is what documented? The way the dates are stored or the way the system information program interprets them.
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What dates show on screen in system info.