3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recent Win7 to Win10 upgrade and Word 2013 "hanging"

I recently upgraded my desktop from Win7 to Win10 (a little over a week ago) and has been, generally, trouble free.

However......

I don't restart or cold start too often (just use sleep), a few days ago I woke the PC up and did a few things OK. I opened up a Word 2013 document (but a .doc, not .docx file) that I use every day and found that I couldn't put the cursor anywhere in the document, menus were not selectable...nothing worked. I ended Word using the Task Manager, tried again and the same thing happened. Shoot, I thought. I tried to do a restart and the "restarting" words and the "busy" circle were on the screen for at least 3 minutes. I pulled the plug in the end. Restarted by using the power button. Brought everything up...everything worked OK (including using the Word document.

Word has just hung up again on the same document. I have not rebooted yet to see if restart hangs up again.

Weird.

K

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Is Word up-to-date with service packs and patches?

Have you tried to repair the Office installation?
    Have you tried running Word with add-ins disabled?
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Still getting used to Win10, but there are no patches outstanding to install. I converted that specific file yesterday from a .doc to a docx file. Was editable this morning OK. I have not done a repair yet. Addins to Word are all MS provided and I have not tried starting Word with those disabled yet.

I will wait and see if that specific file has any issues being opened now that it is a .docx file before I try anything else. I don't like to try several things at once as I can't then tell what "fixed" a problem.

UPDATE1...

BTW, the only addin that is "active" is the Instant Messaging Contacts. Everything else is "inactive".

UPDATE2...

Two days since converting that file to a .docx file and have not seen the problem again (yet <g>).

UPDATE3...

I created a new document (.docx type) today, saved it, exited. Then, opened it again to convert to a PDF file and Word hung up again. I'm getting ready for a UK trip...so will try some of the other suggestions above as time permits. I never saw this happen with Word 2013 under Win7.

Are there any downsides to an Office "repair"?

UPDATE4...

I ran the Office "Quick Repair" this morning (not the "online repair")...not sure of the difference between those two. We'll see if the problem reoccurs.

UPDATE5...

One thing that I found was the Office "Analyzer" (OffCAT). This is at:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=36852

All this showed was this:
    Severity: Error
    Title: Office 2013 Click-to-run managed installation is not at the latest version
    Description: You have version 15.0.4823.1004 while the latest publicly available version is 15.0.4833.1001. Because your Office installation version is being managed by your administrator, please contact them to discuss updating your Office installation.
    Article: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=620356

I'll check this out although since running the "Quick Repair" I have not seen the problem again (yet...).

I did go to Word and request for Office to be updated also.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by kevmeist; 2016-06-20 at 08:14.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Today (6/21/2016)...this problem occurred again (Word locks up, can use the cursor, can't access the menus, have to use Task Manager to terminate Word).

I hesitate to just uninstall and re-install Office 2013.

Any other thoughts? This was NOT an issue before doing the upgrade from Win7 to Win10.

I'm going to try the "online repair".

K

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, that worked like a hole in the head. It got part way through the "online repair" and croaked with a 30174-4 error, Many complaints about this on the web with possible firewall and/or AV being ON issues. Seems like Win10 related problem to me. All of the Office icons are missing from the QuickLaunch area. It appears that Office has been uninstalled (I guess this is what the "online repair" does.....but I have no Office installed and even resorting to putting in the original CD/DVD does not work and fails with this error:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\Client\integratedoffice.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.

Thanks a lot Microsoft for messing up Office COMPLETELY while doing the "online repair".

Quote Originally Posted by kevmeist View Post
    Today (6/21/2016)...this problem occurred again (Word locks up, can use the cursor, can't access the menus, have to use Task Manager to terminate Word).

I hesitate to just uninstall and re-install Office 2013.

Any other thoughts? This was NOT an issue before doing the upgrade from Win7 to Win10.

I'm going to try the "online repair".

K

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, nuts to this crap with Win10.

I looked at a problem with a friends PC yesterday where going back to a restore point prior to the problem didn't work. Noow, my desktop will NOT go back to a restore point from yesterday. So, the desktop goes back to Win7 where none of this stuff happened with Word.

What a PITA.

On top of everything else, after Win7 reverted....as recovery under Win10 uninstalled Office and then croaked...Office doesn't exist under Win7 either. There is no default email client either, so Outlook doesn't work. All Office shortcuts point to a non-existent path and executable.

Now, I am having to completely uninstall Office and re-install from scratch.

Dammit!!!!!!!

I am glad that I take backups of the PST file and Contacts etc on a frequent basis, although I will have to go and re-setup all the Office apps to how I want them to be (default locations and the like).

K

Quote Originally Posted by kevmeist View Post
    Well, that worked like a hole in the head. It got part way through the "online repair" and croaked with a 30174-4 error, Many complaints about this on the web with possible firewall and/or AV being ON issues. Seems like Win10 related problem to me. All of the Office icons are missing from the QuickLaunch area. It appears that Office has been uninstalled (I guess this is what the "online repair" does.....but I have no Office installed and even resorting to putting in the original CD/DVD does not work and fails with this error:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\Client\integratedoffice.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.

UPDATE...

So, it turns out that Visio also was uninstalled as part of the Office install (even though it was a separate install...GRRRR). So, I go to re-install it (having previously installed Office 64 bit). The Visio install now fails as the error message states "We're sorry. Office (64-bit) couldn't be installed because you have these 32-bit Office programs installed on your computer. 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Office programs don't get along, so you can only have one type installed at a time".

Sheesh! I vaguely remember having to un-install Office-32 and install Office-64 three years ago (at least I think it was that way around <g>) or so to get Visio-64 installed. BUT, I didn't remember this when re-installing Office yesterday. So, now I have to go back and un-install Office-32 (again!) to install Office-64 then Visio-64.

OK, Office-64 and Visio-64 now installed again. Interestingly, when installing Visio...all the banners on the install dialogs refer to Office (makes for a little confusion).

Thanks a lot Microsoft for messing up Office COMPLETELY while doing the "online repair".
    Last edited by kevmeist; 2016-06-22 at 09:13.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have found that there are some programs that need to be reinstalled after the Win10 upgrade. I'm not sure why but it has helped in a number of cases.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Certainly seems so. I hope that the story above will help some others that run across the same type of thing.

K

Quote Originally Posted by LHuisingh View Post
    I have found that there are some programs that need to be reinstalled after the Win10 upgrade. I'm not sure why but it has helped in a number of cases.