New Lounger
    Thanks

SFC says four system files can't be repaired

There was a post similar to this years ago, but I wouldn't know if the same solution applies.

I have a Compaq CQ2012, new 2011, with Win7 Home Premium customized, which was upgraded to SP1. Instead of separate disks, it has a recovery partition d:.

While trying to solve a Firefox issue, I did a sfc /scannow and found four files that couldn't be repaired b/c the stored versions were in the same condition...

fde.dll
    fdeploy.dll
    gpedit.dll
    gptext.dll

I will admit that despite its going against MS policy, I installed a group policy editor into this system at least six months ago, but that only pertains to the latter two of the above, to my memory. The others have to do, IIRC, with the Realtek audio driver. I should point out that (1) the Firefox issue was resolved, and (2) the system otherwise doesn't have any significant issues; meanwhile, I don't recall the exact reason for which I installed the GPE.

Is it worth what I feel will be a significant effort, trying to find usable compatible versions of at least two of the above, likely from someone I either don't know or haven't communicated with in a long time? Or will deleting any of them suffice?

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

SFC only 'looks' at a subset of System files, fde* files are likely to be related to the Windows Folder Redirection sub-system : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...=ws.10%29.aspx

A Windows Repair (and subsequent prolonged Windows Updates) would fix the issue - but if you're seeing no problems with Windows itself, it might be better to leave it for now.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Make an image backup before any further attempts at repair, just to be sure.

cheers, Paul