Star Lounger
    Thanks

Touchpad Problem

This is a Dell laptop running Win 10 Home. The problem is the touchpad turns on tap to click without any input from me. Going into setting shows it is turned off. Turning it on and off does nothing. The only thing that resets it is a restart.

Drivers are up to date. It uses a Dell GUI to adjust settings. I could not get a generic synaptic driver to work. Dell has replaced the touchpad which did not fix the problem. There solution was to reinstall the OS. Since this started out with Win 8.1 I was hoping that Win 10 would fix the problem but it didn't.

One poster on the Dell forums insists that the problem is cured by placing a thin film layer like tape on top of the touchpad. I tried that and it does nothing.

Any suggestions?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you try uninstalling the driver for the touchpad and renaming the files so that Windows will not be able to reinstall them?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    This may be too 'extreme' but my wife and some of my consumer/clients have problems with the touchpad so use a wireless mouse and if it doesn't automatically turn off the touchpad when plugged in they will use the hardware feature of the Notebook to turn the touchpad off. Some Notebooks have an actual switch and some use a key combination of Fn and another F key to do it. Saw a Lenovo yesterday that used only the F5 key, it all depends upon how the brand chose to implement those function keys.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nate01pa View Post
    Did you try uninstalling the driver for the touchpad and renaming the files so that Windows will not be able to reinstall them?
    No, I tried uninstalling the driver and installing a generic from synaptics which didn't work.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    This may be too 'extreme' but my wife and some of my consumer/clients have problems with the touchpad so use a wireless mouse and if it doesn't automatically turn off the touchpad when plugged in they will use the hardware feature of the Notebook to turn the touchpad off. Some Notebooks have an actual switch and some use a key combination of Fn and another F key to do it. Saw a Lenovo yesterday that used only the F5 key, it all depends upon how the brand chose to implement those function keys.
    I don't have an objection to a wireless mouse or even a wired mouse. However, the space that I have available when working on the laptop doesn't really allow for an external mouse.

I should add that I have tried a wired mouse and that solves the problem but I can't solve the problem of adequate desktop space.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It may simply be your electric personality that alters the touchpad's behavior. I don't know what you can do about that!