Thanks

OneDrive - Again

Okay, I admit to being addle-brained, but nonetheless...

I have folders in my "Documents" that I want "the public" to have access to, so, I copied them to my OneDrive, and the other users/accounts on this machine then I connected to OneDrive. So the other accounts now had/have access to the files via logging into OneDrive -- but they also then have download copies of everything I connected.

Can/should I put the folders or files I want to share in the Public user folders? And then sync those in OneDrive? I get that just being in the Public folders automatically will give open-access, but if I can connect it to OneDrive, I'll have the added bonus of constant backup as well as sharing.

I thought I had this figured out, because I synced the Public folders to OneDrive, but then I found that each user that I logged into OneDrive also downloaded all the files and established synced copies. Was/is it just some OneDrive setting that I had set wrongly?

I find myself running in circles with this and it is nerve-racking...

All this on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit machine...

Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Isn't this the same question you asked earlier today - http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...1#post1058077?
    Joe

Thanks
    Could be, Joe. I'm just getting lost somewhere in the steps and details I guess, 'cause I'm just not quite seeing what I have done or need to do to make this work.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What you've described is the way OneDrive works. When a user logins onto a particular OneDrive account and his OneDrive settings are to sync everything then all the files will be copied.

The way to accomplish what I think you want to do is put the files in the Pubic folder. All users will have access to the folder. Either unlink all the users but one from OneDrive. That would mean only the one linked user would be able to backup to OneDrive. If you don't want to do that only synch the "Shared favorites" for all but your main user.
    Joe

Thanks
    Joe, so then, what I need to do is, after placing the files and/or folders in my OneDrive folder, marking them all to sync, I then go to each of the other users that can log into the OneDrive and set theirs NOT to sync, so that they will only view what is already there?

Is there a way to passowrd-protect the other user's OneDrives so that they cannot alter settings, keeping their access only at the "view" level?

Chuck