5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File History Stopped Working

A few days ago I noticed File History was turned Off. When I tried to turn it On, I got an error message that said if I wanted more info, to look up error code 0x80007000E. I've checked several suggestions about this error, and tried the following:

1. System Restore, went back 3 weeks, no help
    2. Running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt, no problems found
    3. See if Volume Shadow Copy and Windows Backup are running, they weren't, set them to Automatic and started them, no help with the File History problem

This is on a Windows 10 Home, 64-bit machine. Anyone got anything else for me to try?

Thanks
    Have you looked in event viewer (right click windows logo bottom left - EV is third one down)?
    Open out Apps and services, then Microsoft, then windows then go down to the two FH folders. See if there's anything in there.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Have you looked in event viewer (right click windows logo bottom left - EV is third one down)?
    Open out Apps and services, then Microsoft, then windows then go down to the two FH folders. See if there's anything in there.
    In the File History-Core folder there's this: "Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration"

Thanks
    Well that's obvious isn't it. Or it would be if it had a 'because...' after it. I've just Googled that phrase and there are quite a few hits. I suggest you do the Google and see if any of the suggestions help you. Sorry I can't help any more as I've not seen this error before.
    Good luck.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Well that's obvious isn't it. Or it would be if it had a 'because...' after it. I've just Googled that phrase and there are quite a few hits. I suggest you do the Google and see if any of the suggestions help you. Sorry I can't help any more as I've not seen this error before.
    Good luck.
    Didn't find any suggestions about this error on Win 10, but I tried something in a Win 8/8.1 posting. In the path C:\Users\MY NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\C onfiguration\Config are 4 files, two with an EDB extension and two with an XML extension. I changed the extensions to BAD, then went to the Backup settings. Had to pick a drive for File History backups, and now FH is working again.

Thanks
    Looks like one (or more) of those files was corrupted. Glad you got it sorted.