Thread: WSUSOffline

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WSUSOffline

I have a laptop with Win7 SP1 that hasn't been updated in several months. I guess, as a consequence of that, I am having similar problems with the update process stalling as others are having. I have tried several fixes that have been recommended, but hit a roadblock with each one. "Fixit" didn't work and, while I can download the recommended individual KB update files that might fix the problem, when I try to install them, the box for the "Stand Alone Windows Installer" says "checking for updates" and does nothing.

I have downloaded WsusOffline and have used it to download all the Win7 updates. I am about ready to use it to install them, but first would like to ask a question seemingly not covered by any documentation I've found. Does it install everything regardless of what is already installed, or will it install only those updates not already there? I assume that it really doesn't matter if it overwrites existing update files, but I'm curious.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The Windows Update process stalls when the Windows 10 upgrade is ready to go. If you don't want to upgrade (yet), install GWX Control Panel or GRC's Never10 and turn off the W10 upgrade. Windows updates should now work as expected.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded GWX and used it to disable everything having to do with Win10. I then downloaded KB3125574, the Win7 roll-up package, and tried to install it. The Windows Update Standalone Installer has been "searching for updates on this computer" for about 6 hours with no results yet. Do I shut it off or leave it running? Would I get better results using WSUSOffline?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See this thread about KB3125574 - http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1055366.

When you go to install KB3125574 disconnect from the internet so the installer can't connect to check for more updates.
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah! That worked! Since the message said that it was looking for updates "on this computer", it never occurred to me to disconnect. Thanks.

In the process, about a couple of dozen updates were installed including the "roll-up" as the last one. Perhaps 1/2 of them failed. the "roll-up" did OK. We'll see if it gets back to the normal update process now. I have it set to download updates, but not install them.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now that I have the convenience roll-up installed, I would still like to get an answer to my question regarding WsusOffline; does it install everything regardless of what is already installed, or will it read what is existing and install only those updates that are needed?
    Thanks for the help.