Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Can I move my windows 10 to an upgraded PC?

Hi all,
    The current upgrade to windows 10 (and any subsequent clean install) can be done without a window key by virtual of microsoft's saving of the related system information on their servers.

However without such an installation key does it implies that it will not be possible to transfer the window to, say an upgrade pc after the free upgrade expire in end July. If not, how can the transfer be done?

THanks

Tony

davidhk
    The short answer is :

A Windows 10 upgraded from Win 7/8 in one computer is NOT transferrable to another computer. You can install it, but it won't get activated.

Only Win 10 with retail product key is transferrable.
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-06-17 at 07:45.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Any Windows 7/8 retail license is transferable, an OEM license is not.

cheers, Paul

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by ktlau858 View Post
    However without such an installation key does it implies that it will not be possible to transfer the window to, say an upgrade pc after the free upgrade expire in end July. If not, how can the transfer be done?

THanks

Tony
    Please clarify what do you mean by " an upgrade pc " ?
    Is that pc now running Win 7/8 or is it running an activated Windows 10 ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thank you Paul and David for the response.
    By upgrade I mean, for example, changing the motherboard and/or the CPU.

As per your response, so essentially I'll be stuck in the present pc and changing my motherboard/CPU (after 29th July) implies I need to purchase a new win10 license....

Tony

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by ktlau858 View Post
    thank you Paul and David for the response.
    By upgrade I mean, for example, changing the motherboard and/or the CPU.

As per your response, so essentially I'll be stuck in the present pc and changing my motherboard/CPU (after 29th July) implies I need to purchase a new win10 license....

Tony
    By rule :
    New mobo = new computer.
    The digital entitlement on the original mobo is not transferrable to a new mobo.
    If you new mobo is the same make and model as the original one, then digital entitlement is still applicable. You might have to explain to Microsoft during activation, but that shouldn't be a problem.
    If you upgrade to a different mobo, then you will have to buy a valid Windows 10 license to install and activate Windows 10.
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-06-18 at 11:47.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    The digital entitlement on the original mobo is not transferrable to a new mobo.
    Unless the license is a retail one, in which case it is transferable.
    To find out what sort of license do the following: Start R, slmgr /dlv
    Look for "Product Key Channel"

cheers, Paul

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Unless the license is a retail one, in which case it is transferable.

cheers, Paul
    That point I thought had been covered in post #2 and 3.
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-06-19 at 07:21.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    More and more confusion.

Let me get this straight. If you do the free upgrade to 10 from a retail 7 or 8.1, you have a retail Win 10 license.
    George

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra View Post
    More and more confusion.

Let me get this straight. If you do the free upgrade to 10 from a retail 7 or 8.1, you have a retail Win 10 license.
    excerpt :
    Digital entitlement is a new method of activation in Windows 10 that doesn't require you to enter a product key.

Please read this article posted by Microsoft :
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/w...-in-windows-10

Read the " Show All " at the end.

davidhk
    More and more confusion.

The rule is ............. "one key, one install"

If you have installed a retail win7 or 8.1 in computer A, you can NOT use the same key to install in computer B.
    You will need to uninstall 7 or 8.1 from computer A first, then you can use the same key to install in computer B.

In short : Retail product key is transferrable but One Key, One Install still applies.
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-06-19 at 08:40.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    excerpt :
    Digital entitlement is a new method of activation in Windows 10 that doesn't require you to enter a product key.

Please read this article posted by Microsoft :
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/w...-in-windows-10

Read the " Show All " at the end.
    I had read that before. Clear as mud. I don't see anything that states that you keep your retail license rights. The "digital Entitlement" is never explained in detail.

I am under the impression that Retail 7 and 8.1 licenses are converted to OEM when you take advantage of the free upgrade. I would love to be proved wrong.

This part of that article however gives me some hope.

"Activating Windows 10 after a hardware configuration change:

If you upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer and then made significant hardware changes to your device, such as replacing the motherboard, Windows 10 might no longer be activated. For help on how to activate your device, contact customer support."
    Last edited by High Sierra; 2016-06-19 at 08:42. Reason: added excerpt.
    George

davidhk
    I had read that before. Clear as mud. I don't see anything that states that you keep your retail license rights. The "digital Entitlement" is never explained in detail.

I am under the impression that Retail 7 and 8.1 licenses are converted to OEM when you take advantage of the free upgrade. I would love to be proved wrong.

"Activating Windows 10 after a hardware configuration change:

If you upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer and then made significant hardware changes to your device, such as replacing the motherboard, Windows 10 might no longer be activated. For help on how to activate your device, contact customer support."
    I had touched upon that part in post #6...............

excerpt:
    If you new mobo is the same make and model as the original one, then digital entitlement is still applicable. You might have to explain to Microsoft during activation, but that shouldn't be a problem.
    If you upgrade to a different mobo, then you will have to buy a valid Windows 10 license to install and activate Windows 10.
    .................................................. ...........................

I have read reports that user upgraded to a new mobo and managed to talk Customer Support to issue a new key for activation. If it is true, it will be exception to the case. I wouldn't bet my mortgage on it.

davidhk

Not "converted to OEM".
    It is still a retail key but is "tied" to the installed Windows 10.
    You cannot use the same key for another computer or another install.

That same installed Windows 10 has the digital entitlement but it applies only to the same computer it was installed in.
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-06-19 at 19:39.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A retail license (win 7, 8, xp) can be transferred to other hardware as long as it is removed from the original hardware. The jury is still out on Win 10.
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast