Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Windows 10 help and start button

The windows 10 help and start button on the desktop does not work. Also windows keeps reseting. Any help is appereciated.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can find some Windows 10 Help this way.

The Start Button should be at the lower left corner of your desktop on the taskbar (unless you've moved the entire taskbar). If it doesn't work, you might try following the procedures in this link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-a51765bc9de5

I don't know about a Help shortcut "on the desktop". My Windows 10 doesn't have one; could it be something your previous version of Windows had (before Upgrading to 10 perhaps)?

Does it revert to default settings, does it restart without being told to, please explain what you meant by "windows keeps resetting".

RockE
    Last edited by RockE; 2016-06-17 at 17:54. Reason: grammar; clarity

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

BHarder (2016-06-17)

Thanks
    The only Help function I'm aware of in Windows 10 is the Get Started app that you access via the Start Button that you say is non functional. Does the Search box next to the Start button work? Click on it an type Get Started.

Sounds like your Windows 10 installation is corrupted. I f the search box is functional, click on it and type Command. Right click on the Command Prompt search result and select Run as Administrator. In the Coomand Prompt window, type SFC /scannow.

You can also get an administrative Command prompt by typing Windows key + x and selecting Coomand Prompt (Admin).

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    What happens is that the screen stops, no mouse movement. This also happens when I am in my outlook mailbox. I go to open an email and the command line goes gray,
    no access to that mail. This happens quite a bit. I have run the scannow command. I went so far as to buy Win 10 Home Edition, created a system image on my external drive, formatted the drive and did a clean load of windows 10. Still getting the same problem

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bear221 View Post
    What happens is that the screen stops, no mouse movement. This also happens when I am in my outlook mailbox. I go to open an email and the command line goes gray,
    no access to that mail. This happens quite a bit. I have run the scannow command.
    After running "SFC /SCANNOW" what message did it report to you?

Have you tried creating a second user account to see if it behaves properly? (That's one of the suggestions in the link I supplied above.) If you create a second account and it works correctly then we know that your original user profile is corrupt. If your new user profile behaves improperly (like your original one), then we'll know that the problem is more serious, and can make other suggestions.

RockE

Thanks
    ...formatted the drive and did a clean load of windows 10. Still getting the same problem
    "Still getting the same problem" indicates a hardware problem. Could be faulty Power Supply Unit w/ out-of-range outputs; RAM errors (test RAM w/ MemTest86 or similar).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Lounger
    Thanks
    sfc/ scannow comes back with" did not find any integrity violations". I created another user account with admin access and still get same problem. Going to run MemTest86 and see what happens.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    sfc/ scannow comes back with" did not find any integrity violations". I created another user account with admin access and still get same problem.
    That pretty much points to hardware as Coochin said.