New Lounger
    Thanks

Backup and cloud backup utilities which work when logged off?

I have a Windows 7 Pro machine which is being used in dual mode as a file server and a workstation. I want to install a backup facility on it (and also a secondary one which backs up to OneDrive), but need to ensure that they run regardless of whether anyone is logged into the machine.

Does anyone know of backup and cloud backup utilities which will run even when the machine is not logged in?

Thanks
    I have never used anything like this, so, you will have to do the vetting of the company and its software before you buy or try.

https://www.google.com/search?q=serv...hrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=serv...backup+utility
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Pretty much all backup programs that run via a scheduler will work. What you use depends on whether the machine always has someone logged on or not.
    If someone is always logged on you can use the standard / free version of most backup programs and set a schedule (Aomei Backupper has this feature in its free version so you can use it as a test).
    If the machine is left running but no-one is logged on you probably need a server version of the backup program of choice, which isn't free.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Neither of the ones that I've tried will work when nobody is logged in - i.e. FBackup and Syncback. I was hoping that someone here could answer from experience, and save me a few days of trying out what seems to be an endless list of options!

The "normal" situation is that the machine will be logged off when the backup runs, but there may be exceptions when someone is working late and they are logged into their (non-admin) account.

Thanks
    As far as I am aware, Macrium Reflect will run when the PC is on and nobody logged in. A while back I had a problem when I was backing up to a NAS which I found disappeared when I wasn't logged in. Best way to find out is to download MR (or any other backup program) and try it.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    As far as I am aware, Macrium Reflect will run when the PC is on and nobody logged in. A while back I had a problem when I was backing up to a NAS which I found disappeared when I wasn't logged in. Best way to find out is to download MR (or any other backup program) and try it.
    Many thanks for that. As luck would have it, the free version of Macrium Reflect doesn't support file/folder backup. As the backup in question is less than 10Gb in total it would be great if anyone could recommend a free file/folder backup solution which runs when the machine is logged off!

Thanks
    Does MR Pro have a trial period? If so, perhaps try it a few times, make sure it will work as you want it to work, before you buy.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Does MR Pro have a trial period?
    Yes it does. Pay close attention to the options when you Install the Free Version. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    "Scheduled backups can run independently of whether anyone is logged into the computer."
    From the MR web site. (Now buy it!)

cheers, Paul