3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File explorer - quick access scan freezes computer

I recently upgraded from Win 7 Pro 64 to Win 10. My computer is a Dell Latitude E6420 laptop, now about four years old.

The only problem with the upgrade thus far seems to be a freeze in File Explorer. The scan progress green ribbon goes only so far across, then stops, and everything stops, cursor freezes. Sometimes, I can get to Task Manager, other times not even that, and I have to resort to the power switch.

Google search for this takes me to File Explorer > Folder Options > launch folder windows in a separate process. However, not even that seems to have sorted this properly.

Any ideas, Loungers?

davidhk
    1. Is your Win 10 Pro fully updated ?

2. Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.

Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.

If dism returns with an error message " Source files could not be found", please post back for next step.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    DavidHK - thanks.

My system passed sfc /scannow, reported no integrity violations. If I take it correctly from your post, my solution lies elsewhere.

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    DavidHK - thanks.

My system passed sfc /scannow, reported no integrity violations. If I take it correctly from your post, my solution lies elsewhere.
    Yes. Problem lies elsewhere.

Would you care to do a Repair Install ?
    Repair Install allows you to keep your files, settings and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation is automatic.

If you decide to give it a try, here is how to.................

Use the Tech Bench link below and download your version of Windows 10 iso file.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...brrWLRbagYCa0w

Scroll down to Select Edition > click the pointer at the right and select Windows 10 > click Confirm.
    Click the pointer and select Language > make sure you pick the same language the computer is now running > click Confirm
    Select the bit version, 32 or 64-bit. Make sure you select the same bit version as the computer is now running.
    At the bottom, click the pointer next to Save > click Save As > navigate to a folder of your choice > click the chosen folder > click Save
    The iso will start downloading to your chosen folder.
    When it is done, go to that folder > open the folder > right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup.exe
    Installation will begin.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    David - thanks. I have downloaded successfully the Win 10 ISO, but installing it is going to need some quiet time, which I don't have right now. I'll post back a report of improvement or no change.

Again, thanks,

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    David - thanks. I have downloaded successfully the Win 10 ISO, but installing it is going to need some quiet time, which I don't have right now. I'll post back a report of improvement or no change.

Again, thanks,
    My follow-up on "unfinished business".

How is your current status ?
    Still no time for a repair install ?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    David - thanks, no I have not done a repair install, and don't think that I need to. Another run of SFC /scannow again turned up no problem.

I found a couple of things that could have contributed to the freeze:
    1) - OneDrive was not perfectly configured, so was forever "Looking for Changes", but not going through to "OneDrive - Up to date". This must have been taking up processor cycles trying to resolve mismatches that it was never going to resolve. I copied all of my OneDrive data to another location, removed OneDrive from both computers where it was installed, and then re-installed OneDrive and re-populated the data. Thus far, much improved.
    2) - I probably had far too many pinned locations in Quick Access, including two network locations. Scanning especially these was taking for ever. I also cleared the File Explorer history in case one or more of these was corrupt.

So, touching wood, I think that things may be in better shape. Certainly, I have not had any more freezes, though it's quite early days yet.

Thanks again for your help.

davidhk
    OK.
    Please keep the instruction on file. It might come in handy in the future.

Happy computing.