2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update Notification Time

From the time the computer is turned on and connected, how long should it take for Windows to find and notify you that there are available updates?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This stopped working on my PC a long time ago, probably due to MS repeatedly updating Windows Update. I just check manually from the start menu.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    There is no set time. There are several threads about slow Windows Update processing in this forum. You should check them out.
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Run the Windows Update Component reset Fixit or trouble shooter from MS and that will tell you if you have any errors, but as long as you don't have a red cross next to Check for updates before you run it, then it's usually a case of "how long is a piece of string" these days when it comes to Win 7 updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/971058

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...troubleshooter

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How long is a piece of string? Very long if you have the Windows 10 update patches installed.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments. I should have been a little more specific. Assuming everything is working properly and assuming that MS has updates ready to download, does the OS "see" these updates immediately upon connection or is there a period of searching and analysis? I can understand that the actual download and install process might take a while, but it seems to me that recognizing and notification should happen rather quickly.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Unless your setting says to "download and install when you say" or "install automatically", Windows Update will search and analyze.
    Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It's piece of string territory. MS field a lot of traffic and have off-loaded some of this to Win 10 machines, but the rest is managed, so it could take an hour or a day(s), depending on conditions.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My WU does the search first thing after boot, but I no longer get a pop up window or tray notification that updates are available like I used to. I have run all of the WU fixits out there and the only thing that made things any better was KB3153199. This seems totally unrelated, but now update searches are very fast and downloading better. I now avoid any updates reported to improve WU, but am not sure which one(s) messed it up in the 1st place.

If you want to see if WU checked for updates, just open it manually from the start menu and it will list when it last checked for them.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have searched the internet and tried many if not all of the recommended Windows tools and "fixes" to get my Win7 installation to completely update. I was able to get the update roll-up to install, but none of the later updates would install automatically or manually. Out of frustration, I finally tried Wsusoffline and it seems to have worked installing 13 additional updates. I understand that it doesn't install recommended or optional updates. So, I still have to work on those, but I assume that critical and security updates are up to date.