Thread: Ask Woody

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ask Woody

Just started following this website. It was recommended to not install any WU patches on 6/14 from the recent patch Tuesday. Is this always his recommendation and how long does it take to get feedback on the patches. Most are security patches and do not have the more info function. I know I could look these up manually.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ldb For This Useful Post:

JohnS0603 (2016-07-19)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Yes he always recommends you not install patches. Woody has been the Windows Update curmudgeon for many years. Usually, sometime before the next security patch Tuesday he will give his go ahead.
    Joe

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

JohnS0603 (2016-07-19),ldb (2016-06-21)

Thanks
    Per Woody's advice, I have come to the conclusion that for now I should always install patches which are called "Security Patches", but not install any others. So that's the way I do things. I hide everything but the "Security" patches, which I always install.

Woody goes into further detail than what I have stated, but I, being lazy, simply follow the above method.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

JohnS0603 (2016-07-19),ldb (2016-06-21)

Thanks
    My simple method is to make a system image, and install all updates. Almost never need to restore the image, and saves fiddling with individual patches and remembering to check back for status.

ETA: forgot to mention, I never install driver-hardware updates. If I have a hardware issue, I go to the vendor's site and look for their update.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2016-06-25 at 03:30. Reason: ETA
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When I can get them, I'll uncheck the top box to deselect all then click on each and then on the More info link in the right pane.

I'll then either right click and hide the ones I don't want or check the boxes for those I do.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lugh, always considered that, I do back up somewhat regularly.
    Sudo, that is pretty similar to what I do, maybe not in that order. With all of the bad patches, my trust in MS has dropped from halfway to almost none. I was used to seeing the "more information" link on the same screen. Somehow a scroll bar was added to the window and I did not notice it and though the link was removed for security patches. So I decided to go to Woody's site and check out those recommendations which made me even more paranoid.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    When I can get them, I'll uncheck the top box to deselect all then click on each and then on the More info link in the right pane.

I'll then either right click and hide the ones I don't want or check the boxes for those I do.
    +1

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I usually wait a day or two on the systems for which I'm responsible to see if there is any major fallout and then install everything. I don't believe the "sky is falling" stuff from various sources. In the decade+ that I've been doing this only on a handful of times (< 5) have I had any problems. One was a driver issue. The other two or three were .NET problems on XP.
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The only problems I've had with updates other than recently in not getting them was when either one of three was taking out my audio.

I contacted MS support about it and I got a right dickhead who at first denied it was down to any updates, but after hooking up and messing about for about four hours, left the machine with those uninstalled - which was exactly what I'd done and claiming Success - he was asking me to give him some Karma when I got the email to ask about my experience - that went into the bin

Ah - smilies working again