Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks

Windows Update Service Continually Maxing out CPU

Having been plagued with this problem on my Win 7 x64 laptop for some time now and having to stop the service so that I could use the machine without it freezing up or not being able to navigate through forums, I finally came across the following article which up to now seems to have resolved the problem.

http://wuauclt.info/scripts.asp

You can right click in the appropriate batch file box - click on Select all - right click and select Copy.

Open Notepad - right click and select Paste then go File/SaveAS and name it aurepair.cmd as in the article.

Use the dropdown to select All File Types - OK

Go to your Documents - right click on the file and select Run as administrator where you'll see the cmds being executed in a cmd window.

I rebooted after as I had to have the Windows Update service stopped and then monitored Task Manager for a while and now all seems fine.

I'd factory reset this machine a number of times in an attempt to resolve, to the point of where I was considering chucking it in the bin - glad now that I held off :D

Hope others have success with this as I have.

EDIT - Just have to find out now why the smilies aren't working :rolleyes:
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-06-22 at 07:37.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    An update yesterday (KB3161647 in KB3161608) may have solved wait times for Windows 7 updates: An official fix for slow Windows 7 update scan times

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    EDIT - Just have to find out now why the smilies aren't working
    Your emoticon works when I quote you.

Looks like ALL UPPER CASE is now working. (The other day it wasn't working for me - it would convert it to all lower case.)

Thanks
    Sudo, have you perchance switched them off?

See at bottom of page smiley.PNG
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    An update yesterday (KB3161647 in KB3161608) may have solved wait times for Windows 7 updates: An official fix for slow Windows 7 update scan times
    I've tried downloading KB3161608 a couple of times and each time it has returned not compatible to my machine - and I did download the correct one.

Following the factory reset, I haven't gotten anywhere near the amount of updates I would have expected and even had to Google for the Dec. 2013 one to use Disk Cleanup to remove any obsolete updates.

Even on the small number of updates I got, it still found 238MB of them to remove.

I've manually downloaded KB3153199 and KB3161664 which I've seen recommended and had to install those with wuauserv stopped, otherwise they returned the same or just hung with searching computer for updates

That had no effect on the Roll up one though.

An update on that batch file - I made the mistake of doing a manual check for updates and while it released the memory after stopping it in Task Manager, it was still maxing out the CPU and a shutdown and restart had no effect.

When I've switched the machine back on after a break of a couple of hours or so, it's now clear - so in future I may have to perform a cold boot.

NB - Everything switched on except HTML Code as per snip.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-06-22 at 12:44.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Unfortunately that batch file didn't work after all, so tried these elevated cmds instead, although I don't know what exactly they were supposed to do as there wasn't much of an explanation - just to enter them.

net stop wuauserv

sc config wuauserv type= own

net start wuauserv

They didn't help either although it took longer for the update service to max out the CPU, so I'm back to disabling and stopping the Windows Update service.

As this is my secondary machine, it may not be such a priority but I do use it when the other is in for repair and keep it up to date - but with this problem and not getting any updates, I will have to rely on Norton to keep it safe.

SURT wouldn't even install because it froze, but unlike being able to manually install updates with wuauserv stopped, this crashed SURT's installation with the error that it was unable to install some updates as soon as I stopped the service for it to continue.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Still at it, eh?

Since we last met a couple of weeks or so ago, I have been tasked with fixing up another laptop, identical to the ASUS that gave me such an aggravating Windows update experience that we discussed in the previous thread. http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-update-(Win7)

The symptoms weren't exactly the same, in that this one would boot to Windows 7, but it was clobbered with PUPs, a couple of viruses and a rootkit. In addition, System Restore was broken. Since I got my hands on it before this thread and new Windows Update suggestion, I tried a couple of things that helped resolve the problems with the first machine, and that made greatly reduced the amount of time required to get the Updates situation resolved. It took basically, this one was resolved over the course of two partial days.

One significant difference was that this machine hadn't been used for almost two years, and it already had SP-1 installed, so I didn't have to start out too far back, nor did I have to use the factory restore partition. Otherwise, getting the updates was still problematic, with the slow search and download scenario, and the installation process going in fits & starts. But, before doing anything else, I used the standalone installer to install KB3153199, which seemed to be key in breaking the ice and allowing things to ultimately resolve.

Hopefully, this will be the last time I have to deal with this problem! I've updated this machine to Windows 10, made image files & rescue discs, and who ever winds up with this laptop is going to be very happy!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The only thing that has helped so far is KB3050265 which brought the update memory usage down from a little over 5GB to 2 to about 2.5GB so the machine isn't getting as hot as it was.

Unfortunately, it didn't do anything for the max CPU usage and until I can resolve that, I'm not likely to get any updates because the machine is unable to function.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo15, I had the same problem with Win 7 cpu usage at 100% and EXTREMELY long "Check for updates" function. Also, I could not get updates to finish successfully. Accordingly, I manually downloaded wanted KB updates and installed them 1 by 1, which was very tedious.

However, my problem was fixed with the KB3161664! No more 100% cpu usage or update failures! I hope that fix will also work for you.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My Win7 laptop used to have that issue. Upgrading to W10, reluctantly, fixed it. (It's even better now since we jacked up the mouse and slotted a new laptop in.)

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by onibaba View Post
    Hi Sudo15, I had the same problem with Win 7 cpu usage at 100% and EXTREMELY long "Check for updates" function. Also, I could not get updates to finish successfully. Accordingly, I manually downloaded wanted KB updates and installed them 1 by 1, which was very tedious.

However, my problem was fixed with the KB3161664! No more 100% cpu usage or update failures! I hope that fix will also work for you.
    Unfortunately not - I've already installed that update as well as KB3102810.

I think there must be something else going on as none of what has fixed it for others has had any effect on my laptop.

Event Viewer for the most part thinks everything is hunky dory and sfc /scannow comes up clean.

Just been trying KB3161608 again but gave it up as a bad job when it was stuck on searching computer for updates.

I wonder why MS couldn't have just released KB3161647 on its own

I only have 29 updates in total on here since a factory reset.

Win 10 is out of the question with just a HD3200 GPU fitted on this Toshiba laptop - even if I was desperate enough to upgrade, but not sure what you mean about the mouse, Paul.

I still have one good Win 7 laptop (I hope) which I'm waiting to have the thermal paste renewed on (probably), courtesy of an extended warranty with PC World.

Thanks
    You might want to checkout Woody's latest InfoWorld article, particularly the linked German pages.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2016-06-23)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    You might want to checkout Woody's latest InfoWorld article, particularly the linked German pages.
    When I clicked on the hyperlink for March, I got http://wu.krelay.de/en/2016-03.htm

What exactly does it mean they should be installed via WUSA and using that Shell cmd and is that Shell cmd as is or do I have to add the path etc.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well I managed to install the "loyal companion" and the March 2016 WU Client but the rest just stuck at searching for updates on this computer just as KB3161608 did when I tried a follow up.

Tomorrow I'll restore it with a system image that I created shortly after I got the initial updates naturally and then try '608 again, but I'm not holding out much hope - but Thanks Andy for giving me something else to try.

Thanks
    Steps to take after Windows installation

Disable Automatic Updates:
    Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > Change settings > "Never check for updates"
    (Optional) Stop "Windows Update" service: Open Windows Task Manager > Tab "Services" > Right-click on "wuauserv" > Stop service
    It looks like all the suggested 'fixes' for March need to be run in 'offline' mode, with WU turned off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast