iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Win10 upgrade still challenging Windows users

Field Notes

Win10 upgrade still challenging Windows users

By Tracey Capen

With the deadline for a free Win10 upgrade rapidly approaching, upgrading issues appear to be on the rise.

Also, Win7 updating gets more confusing, and a reader gets upgraded to Office 365 without their permission.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/field-notes/win10-upgrade-still-challenging-windows-users/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracey Capen For This Useful Post:

zxccxzasd (2016-07-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Respectfully suggest that you should include / add a link to the program(s) you consider best able to retrieve the key data from a reader's PC.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Win 8.1 also got a roll up this week. My question is whether or not MS is stuffing Win 10 related updates into those too.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use a program called Recover Keys ( https://recover-keys.com/ ). Their demo version shows only the first 4 product activation keys though so you have to purchase the program to see full product activation keys.

I just did a scan and it found a lot of keys - more than I even knew I had.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to paulp575 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-06-23)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The section Keep a good record of your product keys could also be described as
    --- Products keys are challenging to computer owners.
    --- The average computer user doesn’t typically get them voluntarily that I know of
    --- In my experience most computer users don’t even know what that means
    --- And trying to get them later on when it matters takes a miracle

Anyway, I’m on my brother’s computer right now
    It was originally Win8, upgraded to Win8.1 and now has been upgraded to Win10

He has Microsoft - Office Home and Student 2013
    Belarc’s software license reports a set of 20 characters followed by (Key: ends with XXXXX)
    The 25-character product key that my brother bought at Wal-mart activated this product
    --- The ending 5 characters that Belarc & the purchased product key do not match.
    --- I believe the purchased activated product key is the one necessary to use this product ever has to be re-installed: is this true?
    In Speccy if the product key for this product is in there I cannot find where it is.
    --- If it’s in there, please let me know how to find where it is in Speccy.

Then there are the OS product keys
    Microsoft - Windows 10 Home (x64)
    Belarc’s software license reports a 25-character key. Speccy’s reports a 25-character serial number.
    Neither of the numbers match.
    --- However the Win8.1 & Win10 keys do match which is what I expect
    --- But then the average computer user doesn’t know what to expect.

The computer OS originally was Windows 8.
    None of the label information relate to the software license key that was reported by Belarc or 25-character serial number that was reported by Speccy: How do I know? Because I had run them back then before upgrading to Win8.1
    That doesn’t matter at this point but to me the issue for the average consumer is: why is it such a hassle for the owner to at least have the correct OS 25-character key for a new computer they are paying for if/when its needed?

@paulp75 I'm going to check the Recovery Keys you posted.
    But my beef right now is especially for OS keys
    Someone buys a brand new computer but the OS key isn't voluntarily available that I know of

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

kill "install updates and shut down"

I was interested in Tracey's tweek from AskVG to avoid the "install updates and shut down" situation. However neither Tracey's article nor AskVG's explain enough. What behaviour does "Lock" produce? If this is not a plain shut down, then a plain shutdown still does not seem to be available after the tweek. If it does produce a plain shutdown, why is it called "Lock"

New Lounger
    Thanks

LogMeIn password change

I, too, received e-mail from LogMeIn instructing me to change my password. However, I had no corresponding account in my password minder. Could be that I slipped up, so I pursued the forgotten password route using the address where they'd addressed the message. That resulted in a display to follow the instructions we've e-mailed to your address. Trouble is: no message (and nothing trapped by filters.) Tried multiple times over several days without success, and was left with the vaguely uncomfortable feeling that the whole thing might have been bogus. Under the circumstances, can LogMeIn possibly be so inept that their password reset feature isn't working?

Thanks
    Layman, everyone: when you need to change a site password, login to that site via their main page - NOT from a link in an email purporting to be from that site - trust no-one and certainly not links in emails.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Layman, everyone: when you need to change a site password, login to that site via their main page - NOT from a link in an email purporting to be from that site - trust no-one and certainly not links in emails.
    That is good advice, and it made me suspicious that the message contained such a link. If the message is legit, LogMeIn should be more sophisticated than to send such a thing. I did approach this by going directly to LogMeIn's site. That did not work, so I then tried the link in the message. In view of the fact that they already had my e-mail address and I had no known password, the worst that could happen was confirmation that the address they had for me was valid. The link in the message is to the same forgotten password page that is reached by going through the actual site login, so I dunno. All I do know for sure is that that page is a dud. I do wonder if some sort of hijack is taking place. LogMeIn's URL is logmein.com, but the forgotten password feature takes you to a page on logme.in. Hmmmm.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petermat View Post
    I was interested in Tracey's tweek from AskVG to avoid the "install updates and shut down" situation. However neither Tracey's article nor AskVG's explain enough. What behaviour does "Lock" produce?
    Locks the screen. Same as Win+L.

Quote Originally Posted by petermat View Post
    If this is not a plain shut down, then a plain shutdown still does not seem to be available after the tweek.
    Correct. It just prevents the default power button action getting changed from what you set.