5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Gmail - letting my wife access her e-mail from my desk top

I am hoping this is the place to post this question.

My wife's computer is having some problems that we are trying to chase down. As one possibility, I need to be able to let her access here e-mail from my desktop. I am finding it almost impossible to make that happen. Every time I try to log into Gmail. it defaults to my personal Gmail account.

GMAIL help is absolutely awful as far as providing any information on how to do this. It is one of the worst HELP systems I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. I am hoping that someone here has done this.

There has to be a way for her to access her e-mail from my desktop, so if someone does know how to make this happen, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share this process with us.

Ron M

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    I am hoping this is the place to post this question.

My wife's computer is having some problems that we are trying to chase down. As one possibility, I need to be able to let her access here e-mail from my desktop. I am finding it almost impossible to make that happen. Every time I try to log into Gmail. it defaults to my personal Gmail account.

GMAIL help is absolutely awful as far as providing any information on how to do this. It is one of the worst HELP systems I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. I am hoping that someone here has done this.

There has to be a way for her to access her e-mail from my desktop, so if someone does know how to make this happen, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share this process with us.

Ron M
    Not sure if this procedure will work with Gmail but I have to log out of my hotmail.com account before I can log into my newer Outlook.com account [different login name]. It may be better to set her up as a new user [Control Panel, User Accounts] and you log off the computer or maybe switch user then she could log into her Gmail.

Thanks
    How about setting your wife up with a different browser from the one you normally use on your PC, Ron?

Chrome should be the best for Gmail, alternatives would include Firefox, Opera, Pale Moon (my default browser), Vivaldi,... none of which should share profiles/cookies, etc. with any other.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2016-06-23)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You should use your browser to access her gmail. Sign-in with her account is all you need to do.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    I need to be able to let her access here e-mail from my desktop. I am finding it almost impossible to make that happen. Every time I try to log into Gmail. it defaults to my personal Gmail account.
    You don't say whether you access your gmail from a web browser or from a desktop email client program (such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Eudora, et al). We're all assuming you're using a web browser. If you're using an email client, then as Paul said, use a browser instead to login to her gmail account. A browser is the simplest way to enable temporary access to her gmail.

If you're already using a browser and it's automatically logging in to your gmail, then add hers as a second gmail account. Just click the round profile picture in the upper right corner of the gmail window (or, if you didn't setup a profile picture, the large letter/initial in a circle). Then in the drop-down window, select "Add account" and login with her credentials. You'll then have two browser tabs, one with your gmail and one with hers.

Thanks
    The solution is very simple.....

Just set up your wife's account on "OE Classic (FREE)" email program. Once you put in the GMail name and password, the program will set up the ports, etc, by itself.
    Her account, at Google-Mail, will have to be set to use POP-3. No biggie.

I've done things like that for many of my customers over the years.
    Then you will have your way of getting your email, and she will have a separate way of getting her email.
    The two should never interfere with each other.
    Peace in the family!

Cheers Mate!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!