Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    davidhk

Insider 14371 : Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

Insiders
    Open your Feedback Hub ( https://aka.ms/apnvkd ) and read the Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change.

If you go Settings > Update & Security > Activation...............
    Do you have the "Add an account" option ?

I don't and a few people from other forum(s) also don't have that.

So, what the heck ?

davidhk
    This is what I have........

Add an account.jpg

davidhk
    OK. Reading from the Feedback Hub .................

1.) I am told to add my MS account and link it to the digital license.

But MSA is what I use to sign in to my Insider Preview. and there is no option to add my account.

2.) It also said that if I have already added my Microsoft account, I'll see ...............
    "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account."

But I always sign in with my MS account and I don't see the above.
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-06-23 at 02:13.

davidhk
    Someone from another forum said that if one uses MSA to sign in, then the MSA is automatically linked.

Really ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Looks like they changed the activation screen again. I was seeing the "Windows is activated with ..." message but right now is see the Product ID and Product Key.

AFAIK, it is correct that if you use a Microsoft Account then that account is automatically linked.
    Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    AFAIK, it is correct that if you use a Microsoft Account then that account is automatically linked.
    I am sure that vast number of Insiders are using their MSA to sign in.
    Microsoft has always been awful in explaining. This time a half-ass job only succeeded in confusing people.

A lot of insiders are asking why they don't see the options described.

davidhk
    Maybe it is a bit early to ask this question, a question I thought I had the answer. I am still holding firm on my initial conviction.

However, with this new feature thrown upon us and MS is stupid in making things clear, I would like to ask this...................

I have this Windows 10 Insider 14371 installed and it is digital licensed. Then later on I upgraded to a new, more powerful motherboard. I reinstalled Windows 10 14371.
    Is my digital license applicable to activate the re-installed Win 10 on a new mobo ?

Please note that I am not talking about just any new hardware. I am talking about a new mobo.
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-06-23 at 15:08.

Thanks
    See if you can find the answer here

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    See if you can find the answer here
    I am sorry.
    I am afraid the link provided does not address my question.

My question is specific to the new feature which begins on Insider Preview build 14371.

Thank you.

Thanks
    I think you'll find that section 4 will apply.

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    I think you'll find that section 4 will apply.
    What section 4 ?

The first box asked How is the software acquired..............
    I did not get it as a "packaged software ". I Installed the Win 10 Insider Preview.
    It is not " Pre-Installed " either.

I am sorry. You lost me.

license terms.jpg

Thanks
    davidhk: Perhaps you should report your concerns via feedback via the Insider Ring? That way, if there IS a problem, the "bug" can be fixed.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    davidhk: Perhaps you should report your concerns via feedback via the Insider Ring? That way, if there IS a problem, the "bug" can be fixed.
    Apparently my posts have been misread, perhaps twice.

I do not have a problem, nor a bug to be fixed.

My question, post #4 has been answered by JoeP517, the admin.

I then asked a "what if " question, post #7.

Thank you.
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-06-24 at 09:29.

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    Maybe it is a bit early to ask this question, a question I thought I had the answer. I am still holding firm on my initial conviction.

However, with this new feature thrown upon us and MS is stupid in making things clear, I would like to ask this...................

I have this Windows 10 Insider 14371 installed and it is digital licensed. Then later on I upgraded to a new, more powerful motherboard. I reinstalled Windows 10 14371.
    Is my digital license applicable to activate the re-installed Win 10 on a new mobo ?

Please note that I am not talking about just any new hardware. I am talking about a new mobo.
    After reading the following article from WinBeta, I am beginning to think changing mobo might not be such a big issue anymore very soon.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/closer-l...troubleshooter

HOWEVER, will there be a difference between changing a mobo of the same make and model, and a mobo of different make and model ?

Still some grey areas that need to be clarified from MS.
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-06-24 at 17:33.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    In the past changing the MB to the same make and model has been just fine. If activation fails a call to Microsoft has usually resulted in a new key pretty quickly. Any other change has been considered a new PC. If you change the MB to a different make and model and activation fails, you may be able to talk to a Microsoft support person into giving you a key by explaining your situation.
    Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast