Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Prohibit Universal Apps Re-Install?

Once I believe I saw a hack to keep Win 10 from re-installing those pesky Universal Apps (or Store apps) that desktop users don't want and I did not save that info.

Anybody any pointers to where I could find that?

Mind you, I am not asking for info on how to re-install these apps, I want to permanently block them from being re-installed by Windows Update.

TIA
    Last edited by eikelein; 2016-06-24 at 08:04. Reason: typo
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there one app in particular that you are trying to avoid? May I ask why - what issue are you trying to solve?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Graham,
    On desktop computers with classic non-touch monitors all these former Metro- or Universal- or Store-Apps IMHO don't make much sense. They clutter up the "Start Screen" and I myself as well as most of my customers have proven ways of getting the information we want when we want it.

We just don't see any advantage in sharing our location, our address book, our friends' WiFi passwords and - you get the picture I assume...

Without this sharing and without a Microsoft account live tiles become just clutter, more gunk similar to pre-installed bloat- or shovel-ware. And why do I have to delete them from the start-screen after MS in their eternal wisdom re-installs them with a roll-up update?

To put it bluntly and simply, I don't want to be pulled into Microsoft's brave, new no-privacy world.

And whether anybody accepts my viewpoint or not: I bought my computer, I am responsible for it and Microsoft has NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to decide what I want on my computer and what I don't want on there. And in this point I don't care a darn' about what MS's EULA says...
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Thanks
    @ Eike

Have a look at Spybot Anti-Beacon
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2016-06-26)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I take it you don't want an application white-listing system, correct? You just want to block the Universal apps? AFAIK there is lots of good information on white-listing systems. Not so sure about blocking a particular class of apps based upon their design.

However the included Universal apps are not a huge list. I'll bet you could compile a list of the existing ones, just block those and you'd have a 'good enough' solution.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    @ Eike

Have a look at Spybot Anti-Beacon
    As I understand SD Anti Beacon it blocks MSFT's telemetry channels, that is it stops the computer from sending all the info about us to MSFT.

IMHO - and supported by many dozens of times of actually using it on Win 10, 8 and 7 systems - it does not remove any of the Store Apps.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    I take it you don't want an application white-listing system, correct?
    Correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    However the included Universal apps are not a huge list.
    "...not a huge list."
    1. 3D Builder
    2. Alarms
    3. Calculator
    4. Camera
    5. Film & TV
    6. Get Office
    7. Get Skype
    8. Get Started
    9. Mail and Calendar
    10. Maps
    11. Money
    12. Music
    13. News
    14. OneNote
    15. People
    16. Phone Companion
    17. Photos
    18. Solitaire
    19. Sports
    20. Store
    21. Voice Recorder
    22. Weather
    23. Xbox

Beg your pardon?
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies.

Special thanks to JoeP517 for the reply that points to hopefully useful tools; I have downloaded 10AppsManager and W10 App Remover. Will try them both on the next Win 10 system I have to set up.
    And I will report back.

But one thing IMHO I can say already now:
    The suggested utilities may somewhat simplify removal of MSFT's crud; it seems none of them tackles the issue of getting them re-installed, e.g. by the next roll-up update...
    Last edited by eikelein; 2016-06-26 at 05:36. Reason: Clarification of text
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think that's pretty much like Win 7 - when you uninstall an update it soon gets re-offered and sometimes even when you hide it when first offered.

When MS detects something is missing then it's always going to try and stick it in - problem is, with Win 10 you don't get the choice, so it's always going to be a remedial action on the part of the user.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I removed everything from my start screen and only put what I use there and there are only a couple Metro/Modern/UA apps there. Some of these apps can be removed from the apps list and some can't. For example, I removed 3D Builder but cannot remove Groove Music (MS probably learned this trick from Android and Apple).

So far, updates have not put anything back that I have removed - that I know of. Certainly, nothing has been added to my start screen.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Eike, a bit of clarification please. Are you saying that when Win 10 is updated these apps get put back on your start screen? If so that's not my experience, but then I don't uninstall them, just stop live updates and remove them. Perhaps if the app isn't uninstalled then it won't get put back on the start screen. I've just uninstalled a couple to see if they get reinstalled and put back on the start page.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    There are a few UWP apps that you can't uninstall. But if you uninstall an app you should not be offered the app until you install a new version of Win10 such as a new Insider Preview build. I don't think that the normal monthly update rollups for Win10 count as a new version.
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    There are a few UWP apps that you can't uninstall.
    So, is UWP (Universal Windows Platform) the currently accepted term for these apps?

I still tend to think of these things as Metro or Modern. There's also Windows apps, Store apps, Universal, WinX, and UWP. There is sometimes a reference to Mobile apps which may or may not be the same thing. EIEIO is not in use yet, but they will probably get around to it sometime. YMMV
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eikelein View Post
    "...not a huge list."
    I know that I have uninstalled several of these and they have not come back. Also have ignored several till I get around to looking at them.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast