3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Left over MSE files in Program Data?

Found the following folders in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft:

Microsoft Security Client
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Tool

I have uninstalled MSE and installed a different AV program. At least 1 if not all of these appear to be remnants of my former MSE install. Is it OK to delete these? Someone who has NEVER had MSE installed on their PC could see if any of these folders exist on their PC as one possible test for deleting these.

Thanks

Thanks
    You have backups of your OS, correct? I think you will have no problem after deleting those directories. I guess program files (x86) and program files directories have been cleared of those directories.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ldb
    Found the following folders in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft:

Microsoft Security Client
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Tool

I have uninstalled MSE and installed a different AV program. At least 1 if not all of these appear to be remnants of my former MSE install. Is it OK to delete these? Someone who has NEVER had MSE installed on their PC could see if any of these folders exist on their PC as one possible test for deleting these.
    I've never had MSE installed and don't have any of those folders in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft. Rename them all by adding .old to the end of each foldername and leave for a week or two. If no adverse effects (and there isn't any reason why there would be... it's just for your peace of mind) then delete them to the Recycle Bin.

PS - As Roland says, you should have a backup of your OS anyway, so this would be a multiple belt-and-braces approach.

Hope this helps...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both posters, I just did an image yesterday and have used the file rename trick before. No other traces of MSE in either program files. I also failed to mention that all 3 of the folders had the same creation date and time.