Lounger
    Thanks

Service Pack 1, SP1, for my Windows 7 Ultimate system will not install

Hi, Windows Secrets windows 7 forum

I am having a problem installing the Service Pack 1, SP1, for my Windows 7 Ultimate system. I need to install the SP1 so that I can go to the next step and upgrade to Windows 10.

My system is a Dell Vostro 1510 laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate. I verified my copy of Win 7 Ultimate is Genuine and registered. Product ID is:
    0042-OEM-899XXXX-XXXXX (x’s represent the other digits if the product ID)

I Have installed all of the available Win 7 updates, except the ones shown in the screenshot #1

Screenshot # 1 attached

The SP1 update is item 5. I select only item 5 and click “install”. Install proceeds -- to a point. Sometimes during the install I receive a “failed to install” with error code 80070002, twice install has completed and Windows has asked for a restart to finish the install. When restart is complete, with no error messages, I check status of updates. Status shows SP1 install as “failed” .

On the update status page I clicked on the “Try windows troubleshooter”. Went to Start, Control Panel, Troubleshooting, system and security, select “Fix problems with windows update”. Immediately received error message:

An error occurred while troubleshooting. An unexpected error has occurred. The troubleshooter wizard can’t continue --error code 80131700.

I have researched both error codes and applied the suggested fixes, and still unable to install SP1.

One Microsoft page said I needed the file “ Windows 6.1-KB976932-X64.exe” , which has the same KB number as the Windows update file in line 5 of the screenshot ( Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-systems (KB967032)).

Another page gave this advice: The problem was the same as mine, but with Windows 7 Home Premium X64.
    “Since you don't have Service Pack 1 installed then get the Windows 7 Home Premium x64 RTM: X15-65733.iso file and burn that iso file to a DVD. Then perform the repair install of Windows using the DVD that you made.” The problem was the same as mine, but with Windows 7 Home Premium X64.

This sounds promising --- EXCEPT -- it was silent what changes the “repair” would make to the installed OS. EG. Would there be corruption on the current installed WIN 7? What settings,if any, would be changed, would installed programs and files be deleted, etc.

Is there a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM: X15-?????.iso file ?

COMMENTS?

Also, trying to individually install each of the first 5 updates in the
    screenshot #1 produces the 8070002 error code before the update install finishes.

I would really appreciate any tips, or links on how to Obviously, I am not doing something right, but I am out of things to try.

Thank you for your time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you tried upgrading from USB with Media Creation Tool?
    Alternatively, make an image backup then install W10 from scratch using your W7 key. Then you will have a valid W10 install and can go back to W7 to try to sort it out.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    The Dell Support page for the Vostro 1510 laptop shows it only came with Windows XP or Vista x32 as OEM installs, not Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

As far as I can tell, Windows 7 (released October 2009) only became available on the Vostro range with the release of the Vostro 1540, and even then Windows 7 Ultimate was never a Dell OEM option.

I'm not sure this forum can help you try to upgrade this laptop to Windows 10.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-06-25 at 07:43. Reason: Added more info about Windows 7 availability

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well the pic shows Windows 7 and I doubt MS would have offered SP1 if it wasn't applicable.

@ krazykat - I believe Windows checks to see that you are running on AC as well as battery prior to downloading/installing SP1, but after I've factory reset and updated Silverlight, I direct download from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...s.aspx?id=5842

The Download button takes you to another page where you need to use the vertical scroll bar to select the second one from bottom.

After clicking Next and unchecking the additional software box you may get, it could take you back to the main download page where you hit the Download button again - ensure that your selection is still checked then hit the Try again button.

That has never failed for me.

You have said that you have run various trouble shooters - did they include the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) ?

If not and it still won't install, you can download that from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down....aspx?id=20858

This is a 538MB download so it's best to select Save and then run it from your Downloads folder or any other time after that.

You can check its log at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then double click on the Checksur one which will open in Notepad.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to everybody for the responses. Here are some questions I have:

Paul T: I thought the Media Creation Tool is one way to upgrade from WIN7 to WIN10. I am trying to install WIN7 SP1 on my current WIN7 system. After I get SP1 installed, then I can upgrade to WIN10. Do you know if Media Creation Tool can be used to install WIN7 Sp1?

Rick Corbett: I agree the Dell web site shows the Vostro 1510 has not been tested for WIN7 Ultimate x64. I have been using the WIN 7 Ultimate for almost a year with no noticeable problems – maybe I am lucky. Are you saying that since WIN7 Ultimate was not offered as an “OEM” system from Dell, that is blocking my install of SP1, even though WIN7 Ultimate installed and is running? For what it is worth, I purchased the WIN7 Ultimate disk from a local computer sales/repair shop that said it was an Original Microsoft disk. Maybe it was an “original” OEM disk for a different manufacture—and that is causing the SP1 not to install?

Sudo15: I believe you are referring to https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...id=5842“ URL that has the page title “ Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932)”. When I click on DOWNLOAD and go to the next page, the second from the bottom item is “ windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe----- 903.2 MB” file. Is that the correct file? – Do not mean to be picky, if that file has never failed you, I want to give it a try.

I did download and run the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT). It ran OK and did not report any errors or ask for any items to be fixed. I could run it again just as a double check. Question—Along with the instructions for the SURT, there was talk about a DISM procedure. As far as I could tell DISM does not apply to WIN7. Comment?

Thanks again for the suggestions --- additional comments welcome

krazykat

davidhk
    Pardon me for butting in.

To KrazyKat,

You need SP1 installed ONLY if you want to upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update.

You do NOT need SP1 if you chose to download the iso file from Media Creation Tool or Tech Bench.
    Tech Bench iso download link :
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/soft...load/techbench

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, that's the SP1 file that I download.

Dism cmds don't usually mix very well with Win 7 and the dism /.../restorehealth usually results in an Error 87.

SURT is for Win 7 and Dism is for Win 8+

This is all MS has for 80070002 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910336 but as it relates to missing files, download the Windows Repair program from www.tweaking.com and after using Option 5 to back up the registry and perhaps create a restore point, run the Pre-Scan in Option 2 to see what that reports regarding Package, Reparse and Environment Variables.

Researching error 80131700, someone found .NET Framework v4 to be the culprit and/or 3.5.1

After v4 has been installed, 3.5.1 (which is part of Windows) is only partially used as can be found in Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off.

Uninstalling v4 was found to allow the Windows Troubleshooter to run without producing that error, although it wasn't clear if 3.5.1 also needed to be unchecked in 'features.

It's also been found that uninstalling KB958830 has helped where there has been problems installing SP1.

However, if you still get problems with the SP1 install then run a Command Prompt as an admin by going Start - type cmd - right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and enter sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

If it reports that it cannot repair some files, then run SFCFix.exe which will produce a more concise report and in some instances can repair what sfc was unable to.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html