Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Problems after W10 install failure

I am not sure whether this should be on W10 or W7. I have a dell inspiron laptop I acquired as a second computer,which worked very well on W7 but I decided to update it to W10 to find out what it was like. It downloaded ok to 100% but on installation it black screened at 28%, and I could not boot it up at all. I managed to get the reinstallation discs from the previous owner and it went back to factory settings with W7 but it was back 5 years and it would not update. I then tried the w10 upgrade from microsoft but it also got to 99% on installation and would go no further, so I had to reinstall W7 again to factory settings. I have also tried booting from disc with a W7 I borrowed but also went only halfway, so i am back with W7 at factory settings. Every time I booted up it pestered me to upgrade to W7, and every check says it is compatible, but the simple act of upgading has lost me not only W10 but also W7. Is ther any way of getting my W7 updated, so I can at least get back to where i was before. Thank you

Thanks
    Colin - A re-install of 'factory settings' will probably add a number of PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) from both Dell and third-parties, many of which often run from startup. One or more of these could affect upgrading to Windows 10.

Instead of trying to re-install, update then upgrade again, try this instead:

1. Using your main computer, download the Windows 10 update using the Media Creation Tool and create either a DVD or USB (preferable) installer. See How to Download a Windows 10 ISO File for more info.
    2. (Optional) Using your main computer, download and install the free version of Macrium Reflect. From within Macrium Reflect, use the Rescue Media Wizard to create a Rescue Media USB stick (preferable) or CD or DVD (slower). See page 67 of the Macrium Reflect v6 User Guide for more info.
    3. Re-install the Dell Inspiron laptop to factory settings and ensure Windows is activated. Don't bother trying to update Windows 7 or install AV, etc.
    4. (Optional) Using the Macrium Reflect Rescue Media USB stick, create an image of the Dell Inspiron laptop and store it, just in case.
    5. Follow steps 4 to 6 inclusive in this article to save a GenuineTicket.xml file with the current Windows 7 validation details.
    6. Insert the Windows 10 media you created in step 1 and run setup.exe from it to install Windows 10 on the Windows 7 laptop as an upgrade rather than a clean install. Note: You need SP1 installed for this so I suggest the following alternative.
    7. As an alternative (preferable in my opinion), shut down the Dell Inspiron laptop and boot it from the Windows 10 media you created in step 1 to carry out a clean install.
    8. Follow steps 8 to 11 inclusive in the same article as above to copy the GenuineTicket.xml file you created earlier to Windows 10 to validate it.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-06-26 at 10:42. Reason: Clarified the need for SP to upgrade to W10

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

COLINB (2016-06-26)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much Rick. That has certainly given me food for thought. although my knowledge is limited i can probably excecute all that you say but in the interest of simplicity I will start at item 7. just as a further, while I was awaiting a reply I thought I would download spi forW7 from windows to give me a starting point, but it came as a roxio download and requested registration. When I declined it refused to go any further. Can you tell me what is goingon there?. I also used ccleaner to remove a lot of clutter from start up. Thank you again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by COLINB
    I thought I would download spi forW7 from windows to give me a starting point, but it came as a roxio download and requested registration. When I declined it refused to go any further. Can you tell me what is goingon there?.
    Not really, as I have no idea where you tried to download SP1 from nor do I understand what you mean by 'it came as a roxio download'. The whole idea of my post was to help you avoid any further issues trying to update Windows 7, including the SP1 Update.

I also used ccleaner to remove a lot of clutter from start up.
    Why waste the time? If your 'end goal' is to have Windows 10 installed (with the least amount of aggravation) then my post will - hopefully - help you achieve that. If you want to do a clean install - which, personally, I think is the best option for you - then, as a minimum, just carry out steps 1, 3, 5, 7 and 8 from the list in my previous post. (If you have already reverted the Dell Inspiron laptop to factory settings then you can ignore step 3 as well, but make sure Windows is activated. )

Hope this helps...

davidhk
    COLINB,
    I strongly suggest that you follow the instructions posted by Rick Corbett.
    Don't try any shortcut. Don't pick and choose. Follow his step-by-step to the letter.

What I would like to add on is to clarify something you might not know:
    1. If you want to use Windows Update to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7, then you MUST have SP1 installed.
    The official link for Win 7 SP1 is this one:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/down...s.aspx?id=5842

2. If you do not want to install SP1, then you must follow Rick's instructions and download the ISO file and use it to install Win 10.

Thank you.
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-06-26 at 10:45.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to davidhk For This Useful Post:

Rick Corbett (2016-06-26)

Thanks
    Many thanks, David. I forgot to clarify this in my first post... now amended.

davidhk
    You are welcome, Rick.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both. Rick I am sorry about the confusion, the ccleaner and sp1 actions were what i had tried before Iposted. I downloaded the SP1 from microsoft. I have got the w10 download onto a usb stick as per the media tool,so I will have a go with that. cheers

Thanks
    Rick I am sorry about the confusion, the ccleaner and sp1 actions were what i had tried before Iposted. I downloaded the SP1 from microsoft. I have got the w10 download onto a usb stick as per the media tool,so I will have a go with that. cheers
    No problem. It doesn't take a lot to confuse me. Good luck with the clean install, although it's actually so straightforward you won't need it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am afraid I have failed. It went right though to full install, then when Iclicked on cortana it crashed to ablank screen and would not boot up, i also tried again with the disc from my friend which I think had come from the same source but again it went right throughto full instal, then crashed when I went into edge. It seems there is something on my hard drive which is not allowing it to happen. I have once again reloaded to factory settings in W7, and i am using it to type this. I feel that windows owes me an updated copy of W7, which is what i had before i pressed the dreaded Upgrade button. Does anyone know how to get that?. Thank you for your interest and help

Thanks
    Test the laptop's RAM and hard disk for errors, just in case. Depending on how old your Inspiron laptop is, diagnostics should be available in either the BIOS/UEFI or as a 'Dell Diagnostics' program available from the 'Start' menu.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Rick I have done the diagnosis twice on boot up and dell says everthing is fine, including hard drive and memory.cheers

Thanks
    18 mins to carry out 2 tests of both memory and hard disk is surprisingly quick. I don't have an Inspiron to check but my Dell Latitude 6430u took nearly 7 mins to carry out just the standard short memory test and short DST test before offering to carry out remaining memory tests. If there's a results tab on the Diagnostics screen it may show the hard disk test mode. A DST Short Test only carries out a quick check whether S.M.A.R.T. thresholds have been exceeded and doesn't carry out a full surface check... which IMO you need.

dell_diags25.png
    Click to enlarge
    Apologies for the awful smartphone photo of the UEFI's Diagnostics screen.

Does your Dell Diagnostics have an option to operate in 'Thorough Test Mode' (as arrowed in photo)? Does your Inspiron use an HDD or SSD?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry Rick we are out of tune again. The twice I have done a diagnosis was during the last few days. the second of which was this afternoon before I posted back, and after the failure.as you say the test takes quite a while , especially the deep memory test. The inspiron is about 5 years old, and I think it is HDD. I think the Test allowed for Through test mode but i did not know what that was and it also said the mouse was not available during the test which was done after pressing F12 in boot option. Everytime I have reloaded the recovery disc it has gone into check disc mode automatically but nevver found anything wrong. Is there another way of doing the diagnostic test other than on boot up?

Thanks
    When you press F12 then choose Diagnostics the tests start automatically. Press ESC to stop the tests. The mouse will now be active again. Put a tick in the 'Thorough Test Mode' checkbox then click on the 'Hard Drive 0' icon. The icon should change to a blue sphere indicating that the test is being carried out only on the HDD. A thorough test 'should' check the surface of the hard disk, sector by sector. Unfortunately I've been unable to find any documentation about what the 'Thorough Test Mode' does.

IMO you may be better off using something like Piriform's Speccy to determine the exact make/model of hard drive then use the drive manufacturer's own diagnostics to carry out a full test, including surface scan (assuming it's an HDD on a 5yr old laptop).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast