New Lounger
    Thanks

"Another" New Laptop with Windows 10

I tried to reply/comment on the related thread (which seems to have been closed) so I will try it this way.

I have just bought a Windows 10, HP Pavilion notebook to replace my dying XP desktop, and I am slightly confused between the terms "Image, Mirror, and Recovery". Earlier, somewhere on the web, I read that it was imperative to make an image of the new computer as the 1st step. Then step 2 was to install Malwarebytes, and an antivirus, then remove bloatware and make a new image, before accessing the web for Win 10, etc. updates. Only then should I set up the system with the Admin and User logins.Then I think the next step required the first mirror. If all this is accurate, where does the System recovery fit in?
    When I bought the new laptop, the salesperson said that with Windows 10, it was pointless to make a USB image, because it would just duplicate what is already imaged on the hard drive.
    Any comments/clarification would be appreciated, and if I should not have initiated this thread, please direct me elsewhere.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    diktater,

Here's what I'd do.

On another machine:
    1. Download Macrium Reflect Free and Install it. Since you have a Win 10 machine which most likely uses Secure Boot I'd highly recommend you do this on another Win 10 machine or a Win 8.1 that uses secure boot. This is to insure that Macrium creates boot media that will boot w/secure boot enabled. (Makes life easier).
    2. Create the Recovery Media and test that you can boot from it.

On the New machine:
    1. Plug in the Recovery Media (RM) and an External HD.
    2. Boot the machine using the RM.
    3. Make an Image and remember to use the Advanced Options and select Automatically Verify Image. (You can now put the machine back to exactly how you got it from the factory).
    4. Restart the system and configure as desired.
    5. Make a new Image of the fully configured machine. (Now you always have an option to get back to your preferred starting position).

You're now ready to be on your computing way just remember to make new Images at regular intervals. There is, IMHO, no need to worry about mirroring or cloning.

Post back if you have any more question. BTW here's a helpful post on using Macrium Reflect.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

diktater (2016-06-27)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Image is a snapshot of every file on your PC at time X. Having one of these allows you to recover from a disaster, dead disk / machine, stolen / lost machine etc - your salesperson obviously has no knowledge of computers as you should always have an image.
    Mirror can refer to different things depending on where it's used. Probably safe to ignore for now.
    Recovery is restoring the image you created earlier to return the machine to a working / known state.

Making an image as a first step is a good idea, but you probably want to use your machine first, so you can create the image a bit later.
    Installing anti virus early isn't essential because Windows has one built-in, called Defender. You can choose to install your preferred AV later.
    Removing bloatware is a personal preference. On a new machine you can probably ignore this until you have decided whether you want the additional software.

If you also want to make file backups once your machine is running nicely, you could use Aomei Backupper free instead of Macrium. If you are paying for a backup program, either will be fine.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

diktater (2016-06-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RG.

I will check your link for Macrium Reflect.
    As my only other computer is my XP desktop, would you advise installing MR directly on the laptop?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul,
    I know there is free limited subscription to McAfee Live-Safe pre-installed, but I didn't realize Defender was also anti-virus. Perhaps the best thing to start off with is to get all the Win 10 updates, and go from there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diktater View Post
    Thanks RG.

I will check your link for Macrium Reflect.
    As my only other computer is my XP desktop, would you advise installing MR directly on the laptop?
    My first choice would be to "call a friend" and do it there. However, if that is not possible you should be just fine installing it on the Laptop you just won't be able to take an Image until you have the initial windows setup done and MR installed. I like to get a Image before this as I save it for when I dispose of the machine (recycle to some one else) I can easily set it back to the way it was when new.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

diktater (2016-06-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That is the way I was thinking, but if I don't delete the pre-installed "image?" partition (Image/recovery/?) would that not accomplish the same thing? Or am I more confused than I thought?
    (I have to spend more time on this site, learning how to use it. {like "quotes, icons, and all the options" on the "quick reply" box}.)
    Last edited by diktater; 2016-06-27 at 18:00. Reason: more clarity

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by diktater
    (I have to spend more time on this site, learning how to use it. {like "quotes, icons, and all the options" on the "quick reply" box}.)
    There's a test area at the bottom of the forums list just so we can play around getting used to all the different options.

Hope this helps...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

diktater (2016-06-27)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by diktater View Post
    if I don't delete the pre-installed "image?" partition (Image/recovery/?) would that not accomplish the same thing?
    Probably, but it's a moot point as W10 has a refresh as new option.

Turn it on and play with it for a while, then backup all the nice changes you've made.

cheers, Paul