2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Reviving deleted files.

I am using Win 8.1 and wanting to get advice on a utility (either freeware or paid-for version-or even if one exists at all) which has the ability to restore files/folders once they have been deleted from the recycle bin.
    I realise that there are oodles of utilities on the web which claim they can restore deleted files, and I have tested a few out; I now am having serious doubts that a restoration tool exists at all.
    With every tool I tried out, it asks where the file’s original location was, then after initiating a search some files are found; here’s where things get interesting – every file which is found exists on the H/D and hasn’t even been deleted at all.

Is a undeleting tool simply media hype?
    Has anyone used a ‘undelete’ utility which successfully does what it’s meant to?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    See Recuva. There is a free version and pay Pro version.

You must remember that the ability to recover a deleted file decreases with usage on the drive where the file resided. Deletion involves just marking the file as deleted in the table of content. The space is then available to use again. So, the longer the file has been deleted the more likely its space has been used for something else making the file unrecoverable.

The best method for recovery is a backup.
    Joe

Thanks
    A second best way, Replendence's Undeluxe. I have the pay-for on all three computers, I don't know what limits if any the free version has. Ok, once installed, one leaves the grey-colored resident portion, well, resident. The green-colored board is the one used to see all the recoverable deletions [which have not been overwritten]. Undeluxe makes tiny text file pointers to each and every deleted file anywhere under its umbrella, and the umbrella can be adjusted in the grey resident board. While it needs to periodically be cleaned out just before defragging, it has recovered files I accidentally deleted and those I did not even remember I deleted.
    And, I think it can even bring back anti-virus/anti-malware deletions of known good stuff.

I have not tried Undeluxe after the fact; I do not know if it will sniff out and point out files deleted before it was installed. Somebody will have to post those results.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-06-26 at 21:14.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A daily scheduled backup is the only solution IMO.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    I recommend EaseUS Data Recovery, it is the easier option to use, friendly fast and easy to use interface. Both free version and pro version available.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Agreed about backups. Some backup tools (I use Macrium) allow you to copy individual files from an image backup, so depending on how recent the backup is ....

Another thing I use is just an XCOPY job which runs as a scheduled task every x minutes. The XCOPY switches are set so it only copies files from specified folders, and then only those files which have the Archive bit set. The archive bit gets turned off when the file is copied. My copies are to an external USB drive, but could be to anywhere. To make this completely unobtrusive, create a new user and run the scheduled task from that user, and set it to run even if the user is not logged on. That way, the XCOPY job runs automatically, and completely in the background.
    Last edited by Bundaburra; 2016-06-29 at 00:16.

Thanks
    The easiest and most reliable way to ensure undeletes is to use a software like Memeo. You set it up by telling it which folders to "protect" (i.e. backup); it does an initial complete backup of those folders. From that point forward, anytime a change is made in any of those folders, the previous state of the file is copied to the Memeo archive, allowing you to recover it simply by copying it from the archive. You can specify how many versions back you want to save; but the more you save, the more room it takes up on your drive.

Memeo is completely automatic, once you set it up. You don't have to do a thing until you need to recover a file. The only thing you need to do is make sure that you have free space on the drive where your Memeo archive is kept.

I haven't used Memeo in many years; but back in the day, it was excellent software. I assume it still is.

Memeo is not the same as a "cloud", because with a cloud, if you delete something on one of the cloud drives, it gets deleted off of all of the cloud drives; whereas with Memeo, if you delete something off of your hard drive, Memeo keeps a copy of the file which you deleted.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-06-29 at 10:21.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Acronis TrueImage has that facility, as, I suspect, do others.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    File History comes with 8.1, I use it with no problems.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand